Radio

Jmartz

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
So how hard is it to replace the radio in the 15 Golf ? Or is it impossible because of the integration with the cars computer and settings and stuff? I hate this radio. Hyundai Sonata puts it to shame. Navigation is terrible and the interface is just terribly slow.

badufay

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI S, 6 spd man; 2017 Jetta SE TSI, 5 spd man
I'd just wait a little bit and see what comes with apple play being released later this year. I'd assume there will be some means to upgrade from VW.

Jmartz

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
You don't really have a chance to play with all the bells and whistles when you test drive a car for 20 minutes. Navigation system gets stuck all the time. The other functions are fine, but the navigation is horrendous. Absolutely awful. It takes forever to put a location into the thing. My 2009 Jeep was light years ahead of this thing RE: navigation.

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
Hey Jmartz. I feel your pain.This thread I started mirrors your experience.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=425386

I'm hoping there can be some kind of software update. You could always go third party through crutchfield or something I guess. I bought an awesome unit for my old CRV through them. Pioneer. Had all the bells and whistles and a Garmin "brain" to run the nav. Looked better than the OEM! The problem of course with our new MK7 is integrating it into what is already an awesome and visually cohesive interior. I suppose there will be a harness that connects 3rd party head units and I suppose there will be dash kits to get it to fit...But it's not the same. The car is great in every way and the NAV is not even worthy of being in it. I agree that less expensive "bargain" cars have done it better than VW.

FWIW never mind the dude that said "Didn't you know when you test drove it." Don't feel bad. I once traded a car in after 3 weeks because the seats were awful and uncomfortable. Sometimes you don't know until you live in it.

In the meantime lets hope that apple carplay or some kind of firmware or software upgrade can make this thing worthy of the rest of the car.

Jmartz

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Now to think of it, they did do an upgrade in my Jeep maybe a year or two after I got it. But they really should do something, the product is just painfully slow and has so much potential!

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
have you spoken to the dealer about the issue with your Nav? I found the radio (no nav) to be really sluggish when I got the car, but after I complained, they deactivate the HD radio and it ran a lot better

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
have you spoken to the dealer about the issue with your Nav? I found the radio (no nav) to be really sluggish when I got the car, but after I complained, they deactivate the HD radio and it ran a lot better
Why would you deactivate HD radio. It sounds good.

kranzandrew

TDI
MKVII 2015 Golf TDI S, Mk IV 2005 Jetta TDI PD, 1997 B4 Passat TDI 5speed Bio
If anyone wants to sell a head unit with the nav and preferably the fender I would love to have it in my base TDIs...