Radio Upgrade Question

916er

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hello all, I am thinking of purchasing a 2012 Jetta TDI. The radio has a CD changer and Satellite capabilities. I think, from my research it may be a RCD 510. I would like to know if I can upgrade it to a RNS 510 because I really need the navigation. Is it simply a plug and play procedure? The car has a satellite antenna already. The dealer says it cannot be done because I would need a different wiring harness, a module, etc. I am not sure I believe them. That is why I am asking the people who know. Thank you Eugene

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
VW Navi's are extremely lame. The functionality is frustrating and they are not real time meaning they do not report real time traffic.

If you need navigation, use Google maps or WAZES on your smart phone. Real time traffic, turn by turn directions both displayed and voice and you don't have to buy map upgrades.

I just saw the last post date and I hope yu didn't throw your money away on an in dash Navi unless it has Android capabilities.

Last edited:

adimex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup 6MT (sold), 2014 JETTA TDI 6MT (recalled), 2014 JSW TDI 6MT & 2015 JETTA TDI DSG
We swapped our RCD with a double din sony deck with Android Auto/Apple Car Play. Install was easy and it looks decent in the car. Haven't looked back since.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Not the popular opinion, i dont mind the oem radio. I would get an rns 315, then you don’t need the extra modules assuming you have bluetooth now, all you have to add is the navigation antenna. I upgraded my beetle from a rcd310 (base radio with satellite) to a rns315 (navigation and satellite).