Radio fault code, HU or antenna base

slpopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB GLS TDI DSG
My AM no longer works on my car. I have taken the antenna base apart and there was corosion on the circuit boards inside the base. I cleaned the boards with contact cleaner and re-assembled everything but the AM still does not work, FM and satelite radio still work fine.

I scanned the radio for codes and I got

0856 Radio Antenna
36.00 Open Circuit

Does anyone know if the codes indicate trouble in the radio itself or is it refering to the boards inside the antenna base? Does this code indicate if it is the AM or FM antenna? I am hoping it is just the base because I need a new one anyway as the plastic shell is cracked where the mast screws into it.

There are three cables/plugs that go into the antenna base. Is it one cable/plug each for AM, FM, and satelite radio? There were two smaller plastic plugs that were black and tan in color and one larger black circular connector. Is the satelite radio the larger black circualr connector?

I may just get the AM/FM base as the one with the Satelite Radio stuff is obsurdly priced. If I change it to a plain AM/FM base do I need to do anything with the radio coding in the car? The coding in the car now is 06031.

TIA,

Steve