Quick carefree/worry free maintenance warranty question

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
2010-Jetta-TDI-DSG-Salsa Red
So I bought my 2010 Jetta in Nov of 2010.

I'm coming up on 30k miles, I think I'm at 26k now, and I bought the car at the end of November 2010.

I cannot remember, and am out of the country currently, if the carefree maintenance is 30k / 3 years, or just strictly mileage based.

So will I be SOL if I don't hit 30k miles by this November? Because I probably won't.

Would they perform the 30k maintenance if I went in with about 28k?

Sorry to ask, but a quick search regarding anything about warranty yields a lot of HPFP stuff.

Thanks,

Jeff

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
It's 30K or 1 year after your last service, whichever comes first. So if you did your 20K in November 2012, for example, you would have the 30K done at 30K or November 2013, whichever is first.

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh alright, wasn't expecting that 1 year rule

I got my 20k done in January of this year, so I should hopefully be good, I should hit 30k before Jan 2014

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anybody else have more info on the the carefree maintenance warranty, I can't seem to find more info on it, and it's kinda driving me crazy as I'm away from my car and the US right now.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
The 36k or 3yr has to be done which either comes first. I didn't realize this as I'm LOW MILEAGE DRIVER and brought mine in at 30k miles and was told the time limit had expired. I foolishy thought either one was ok. Live and learn. Most of the 36k mile service is oil change and inspection,so I just had them change the oil and filter.

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
thats what I'm worried about, I'm a low mileage driver as well and I'm not sure if I'm gonna be close enough to 30k by 22 November

Maybe I'll go in with like 28K and hopefully they'll service it for free.

Bobo

TDI
Jetta SWG 2012 6M Golf Variant 2000 6M
thats what I'm worried about, I'm a low mileage driver as well and I'm not sure if I'm gonna be close enough to 30k by 22 November

Maybe I'll go in with like 28K and hopefully they'll service it for free.
Ask them, I'm sure they can do the service for free after the 3 years (2 months difference) if not you can insist to have you service done at 28K no big deal, it's just oil change. I had my last oil changed at 29K + they changed the HPFP :( When I was waiting to pick my car was talking with the service manager about what oil they used for TDI and where I can buy it and he gave me 5 liters for free!! I was shocked....maybe some guilt about the HPFP so for next service I need just oil filter :)

Cheers,

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
Call your VW dealer's Service Department and ask them (on second thought, use email so you have a written response).

Below is what a VW Service Advisor quoted to me from a chart he had at his desk concerning the eligibility periods for VW "Carefree Maintenance":

10,000 Mile Service must be done within 15 Months and under 15,000 miles
20,000 Mile Service must be done within 27 Months and under 25,000 miles
30,000 Mile Service must be done within 39 Months and under 36,000 miles

Disclaimer: I do not know if this will apply at other dealerships or even at this dealership in the future. This is just what they told me. My plan is to schedule the services before one, two and three years and under 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000 miles; whichever comes first.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
I've gotten my 30k service a few months earlier and at 28ish miles since the car was in for some warranty work. I told them to do it because I didn't want to be back again just for the service. They said no problem and agreed

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to hear guys. When I get back to the states I have a 1,100 mile trip that will probably put me in the 28k realm before 22 Nov.

Bobo; thats sweet he just gave you 5 L for free, quite a value, stuff is not cheap

ALSO: Would you guys recommend just asking them to do the inter cooler TSB mod while I have it in there

I haven't had issues with it yet, but I live in the North East and I've heard that's a common problem area.