Questions about buying a OBD II Scanner

VWRacer1

Veteran Member
I am considering buying a scanner or vag-com for my TDI, and am wondering about the options available. There are scanner tools, which read and erase codes, but they don't appear to permit making adjustments to the ECU. And there are cables to connect to a laptop which are designed to work with ross-tech's software. What are your thoughts about buying the inexpensive interfaces and cables available over the web versus the considerably more expensive ones from ross-tech? Are there any hidden advantages to the ross-tech to justify their x5 times the price? Software issues?

Finally, do any of the scanners permit adjustments? (I have a laptop, so that isn't a problem...I'm just curious.)

TIA,

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm saving up for a real Vag-Com with official cable...

The cheapo cables you find on the internet (I got one from the group buy - now closed) combined with the shareware version of Vag-Com will at least let you read the error codes, but not clear them or do any modifications. Short term, I could ask for help from "real" Vag-Com owners (from the list) if I get any codes... so far I haven't gotten any... I almost feel neglected by my car...

Get the real thing... (also, you can find a discount on the Bentley CD if you become a registered Vag-Com user...)

BTW: find out how much a dealer will charge just for looking at an error code, and figure that into the price for the Vag...

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
There's no way our interfaces are 5x as expensive compared to any fully assembled third-party interface IF you consider the fact that the full-function version of VAG-COM (i.e. the software license and registration) is included in our price. To make a fair comparison, you have to add $99 to the price of any third-party interface.

But before you buy a third-party interface, bear the following in mind:

* We don't gurantee any version of VAG-COM to be compatible with any third-party interface. You make the determination that it's compabible before you register. If it doesn't work, or if you have problems getting it to work, you'll need to deal with whomever you bough the interface from, not Ross-Tech. Note that some of the more popular third-party interface vendors don't have a phone number on their site (nor do they provide one even if you buy an interface from them). This may say something about the level of support you'll get. OTOH, Ross-Tech DOES offer telephone support, and the office and staff this requires does cost money.

* We don't guarantee compatibility of any future version of VAG-COM with any third-party interface. Even if a thrid-party interface works with a current version of VAG-COM, it may not work with a future version. In fact, many cheap third party interfaces don't even work with the CURRENT version. We keep an old version available for people with those interfaces, but they obviously have no future.

* All of our interface act as a "Dongle" for the full-function version of VAG-COM. That means you have the full version as soon as you plug in and use the interface. It also means you can use the full-function version on any PC with no license transfer issues. Just install the software, plug in your interface and go.

* Nobody else can offer you an interface with CAN capabilities which will work with the 2005+ Golf/Jetta and the next generation of cars. But it's available now from Ross-Tech and it's already been tested (and is in use every day) in Europe where these cars are already plentiful).

-Uwe-

VWRacer1

Veteran Member
Uwe,

From your post I will venture a guess that you are associated with Ross-Tech. I'm not trying to be coy...I honestly don't know. In any case, thank you for articulating the differences between Ross-Tech's package and the cheap knock-offs on the market.

You are right. At the least I would have to add in the $99 for registered software. Without paying that (if I understand their website correctly) I have only a fancy scanner -- not what I want. The price difference is less than 2x compared to the Key-USB when I add in the $99 for the software functionality.

Good call...

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Uwe,

From your post I will venture a guess that you are associated with Ross-Tech.
His full name is Uwe ROSS.

Not to be confused with Uwe Blab, my all-time-favorite IU basketball player!

I have a Hex-Com and it has been great. You won't regret it!

moondawg

BA

Guys I have a similar question. I'm a happy Vag-Com owner and need a similar product for my 2000 Ford PSD Ex. Does anything exist for the Ford diesel like the Vag-Com for my VW?

Wee_Car

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Black
Yup. I have forgotten the name. The name is NGS-Star (IIRC). Costs about $600. You can now "chip" your X with a superships micro tuner and read/clear codes with it. Not anything near the capability of the factory OBD or Vag-Com. Incidentally, the Ford unit will allow you to change speed limiter which is set at 94 MPH as well as adjust for different tire sizes etc.

Cheers

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI White/Black
Hmmm...is it okay if I also hijack (just a little) and ask about a product like vag-com for DC (specifically '99 Grand Caravan)? TIA.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
We have a 99' caravan too, and the OBD test in vag com reports that it can talk with the car. So the VAG cable might work, but I don't know what software to use.

-Jason

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI White/Black
Yeah...I saw in the other post (TDI + chevy truck) that Chrysler uses the same ISO interface. Hopefully someone can enlighten us as to whether there's a software available that can talk to it through the/a ISO cable.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
I've done some searching and digging, to answer this on my own, but I'm still not sure...

I just picked up a 2004 Jetta TDI (in Canada) - do I require a +CAN interface for full VAG-COM functionality with this vehicle? The RossTech page doesn't explicitly list the car, but I constantly see people here reference CAN-BUS in speaking about the various mods they are doing to their MKIV Jettas (notably the MFA cluster mod, which is precipitating my interest in the VAG-COM...)

Thanks;
Scott.