Question about A/C drain venting

dieselrox

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
To help prevent further problems with the moldy/musty vent smell, I'd like to open the "U" flap on the firewall and unstop the drain. The problem is -- I can see the flap, but I can't get to it! My arm won't fit around all the tubing and other stuff towards the back of the engine to gain access to the U-flap. For those here who have done this: HOW did you manage to gain access to the flap?

Thanks!

akmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 TDI naturally Jetta
Humm I have not done it yet but I would suggest using a probe. Like maybe one of those gitters with the lil fingers you find at the auto parts places. Its to pick up lost bolts and such but I think it would work as its slinky and have fingers to grab. Anyone done this care to weigh in????

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
dieselrox-
Have you tried accessing it from the bottom of the car?
The retrieval tool mentioned might work.

dieselrox

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
tditom said:
dieselrox-
Have you tried accessing it from the bottom of the car?
The retrieval tool mentioned might work.
I thought about trying to get to it from the bottom, but it's not very practical for me as I don't have a lift or a set of ramps. I'm not sure the retrieval tool thing would work -- you've got to open the flap and go past a layer of insulation to reach the plug. Maybe this is something that should wait for TDI Fest where I might be able to corral/coerce/bribe someone who knows how to do this. :D