Pumpe-Düse information

Discus

Some asked me about informations. Here from Germany direct a text:

Die Pumpe - Düse Technologie

Für Volkswagen geht ein neuer Dieselmotor in Serie.

Der 1,9-Liter-Vierzylindermotor ist ein Turbodiesel mit direkter Kraftstoff-Einspritzung und baut auf dem bisherigen TDI auf. Eine wesentliche Neuerung ist jedoch die Art, wie der Dieselkraftstoff eingespritzt wird. Auf jedem Zylinder sitzt in unmittelbarer Nähe des Einlaßventils eine Einheit aus einer Pumpe und einer Düse; die Ingenieure nennen diese Einheit simpel „Pumpe-Düse". Mit diesem System erreicht Volkswagen als weltweit erster Hersteller einen Einspritzdruck von über 2000 bar. Und je höher der Einspritzdruck ist, desto mehr Kraftstoff kann in kurzer Zeit möglichst fein zerstäubt und in den Zylinder geleitet werden.

Das Ergebnis kann sich sehen lassen: Die neue Volkswagen Technik verbessert das Leistungs- und Drehmoment des Motors und reduziert die Schadstoffe im Abgas. Mit der Hochdruck-Einspritztechnik unterschreitet Volkswagen die Dritte Stufe der Europäischen Abgasnorm und in Deutschland bekommt man zur Zeit die D3 Steuervergünstigungen.

Auch im Lupo 3L TDI setzen die Volkswagen Ingenieure das Pumpe-Düse-System ein. Hier bedient sich ein Dreizylinder-TDI mit 1,2 Liter Hubraum dieses derzeit effektivsten Einspritzsystems. Statt Druckleitungen sichert je eine Pumpe-Düse-Einheit pro Zylinder konkurrenzlos hohe Arbeitsdrücke von über 2000 bar. Ein Magnetventil steuert den Beginn der Voreinspritzung. Die Kraftstoffmenge und der Abstand zur Haupteinspritzung wird mechanisch-hydraulisch geregelt. Das Ende der Haupteinspritzung und damit die Menge wird wiederum über das Magnetventil gesteuert.

Der Hochdruck wird am Einspritzelement jedes Zylinders separat erzeugt.

Die Motorentechniker von Volkswagen haben sich für das Pumpe-Düse-System entschieden, denn mit diesem erreichen sie einen Höchstdruck von bis zu 2050 bar, während die Common-Rail-Technik zur Zeit nur etwa 1350 bar liefert, ganze 700 bar weniger. Und ein hoher Druck ist wichtig. Je höher der Druck, umso mehr Kraftstoff läßt sich in der kurzen Zeit durch die winzigen Löcher der Einspritzdüse pressen. Nur wenige Tausendstel Sekunden dauert dieser Vorgang. Das Pumpe-Düse-System kann den hohen Druck deshalb gut aufbauen, weil dieser auf sehr engem Raum erzeugt wird und der verdichtete Kraftstoff nicht über eine Rohrleitung zum Zylinder geschickt werden muß. Das Pumpen-Element sitzt unmittelbar über der Einspritzdüse im Zylinderkopf.

Der hohe Einspritzdruck führt dann auch zu neuen Motorqualitäten: zu mehr Leistung (85 kW/115 PS) statt wie beim Vorgänger-Motor 81kW/110 PS) und zu einem einzigartigen spezifischen Drehmoment (285 Nm statt 235 Nm). Man spürt das Kraftpotential schon beim sanften Antippen des Gaspedals, und zwar von unten heraus, vor allem bei sehr niedrigen
Drehzahlen. Der Motor nimmt es einem nicht übel, wenn man mal das Schalten vergißt. Erfreulich ist, daß die Pumpe-Düse-Technik weniger Schadstoffe erzeugt, weil der Verbrennungsprozeß günstiger verläuft.
Dieser neue Dieselmotor garantiert eine bessere Laufruhe bei unverändert günstigem Verbrauch und bringt Ihnen Fahrspaß ohne Reue.

Hmm. I think you want understand this text from us. I took a half an hour for you to translate the text to inform you. Please don´t kill me for englisch mistakes. :)
I orderd this engine with 6 gears in Golf IV last week. And here my stupid translation: :)

The Pump Duse technology

For Volkswagen goes a new diesel-engine in serial production.

The 1,9 liter 4 cycle egine is a turbo diesel with direct injection of fuel and is a improvment of the actual TDI. Mainly new is the way of injecting the fuel. On every cylinder is in near of the ventil where fuel comes in a unit with combines a pump and a jet injection system; engenieers call this unit simply "pump duse". With this system Volkswagen reaches worldwide as first manufacturer an injection pressure over 2000 atmospheres. More pressure gives the possibility of leading fuel in very fine and short time.

The resultat is fine: the new volkswagen technology improves power and torque of the engine and reduces air pollution. With this high pressure injection system solves Volkswagen problems of third step of the euopean pollution regulations and in Germany you get D3 tax - that means one year without tax, after this 120 $ a year in Germany.

Even in the Lupo 3l the Volkswagen engeeniers use pump duse. This is 3 cylinder 1.2 l TDI this most effectiv injection system at the moment. Instead of common rails one pump duse unit per cylinder makes sure a pressure over 2000 bar. This reaches no concurrent. One magnet ventil leads the beginnig of pre-injection. The volume of fuel and the distance to the main injection is lead mechanic and hydraulic. The end of main injection and the fuel volume is lead again via the magnet ventil.

The high pressure is made by the pumpe duse unit on every cylinder serperatly.

The engine engennieers took decision for pump duse. This system gives the possibility of 2050 atmosphares maximal pressure, while common rail technology ca. 1350 atmosphares pressurizes, 700 atmosphaeres less. And high pressure is important. More pressure means more fuel injected throug the small jet system in a short time. This injection has a duration of 1/1000 sec. The pump duse system can very good pressurize because it is developed in small space and the pressurized fuel has not to be lead via a rail to the cylinder. The pump dues unit is placed direct over the injection jet system.

The high pressure offers new qualities of engine: mor power (115 hp) instead of 110 hp and to unique spezific torque (285 Nm instead of 235 Nm). You feel the power by touching the pedal - and this at ower rounds.

The engine doesn´t worry about forgetting to switch the gears. Nice effect: the pump duse technology produces less pollution because the prozess of burning fuel is more efficent. This new diesel enige gives guarantie to a more noiseless behaviour at low fuel consumption.

C ya Ferdinand, 21, nice greetings from Munich

diesel_freak

Veteran Member
Hi Ferdinand. Thanks for the excellent information on the pumpe-duse. At this moment, regulations in the USA allow a max of 300 ppm (parts per million) of sulfur in diesel fuel. There are new regulations in the making that will reduce the sulfur limit to 30 ppm. I believe the high sulfur concentration of American diesel is what keeps the pumpe-duse from working here. I really hope that the limits are lowered on sulfur so that VW can sell that excellent engine here.

Man, a six-speed, 115 PS pumpe-duse Golf!!! That is the stuff dreams are made of, my friend. Consider yourself lucky. Please let us know here what your new Golf is like, after you have driven it for a while.

I agree with you. Americans don't care about the environment and drive huge, wasteful cars. Unfortunately Americans hate all taxes and will not accept higher fuel taxes, so politicians do not dare raise them. The only way Americans will abandon their huge irresponsible cars is if the oil prices go a lot higher.

M

mickey

16v, and others in North America: SkyPup posted some information on the proposed sulphur content regulations in the Oils/Fuel section. The EPA is currently in the "Public Comment" phase of the discussion. You can write to them and offer your support for the new regulations. (Oil companies are fighting against the regulations. If you don't speak, nobody will listen.)

Docket No. A-99-06
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Air Docket (6102)
Room M-1500
401 M Street SW
Washington, DC 20460

-mickey

Discus

Yes you´re absolutly right. If nobody says anything, nothing will happen. I understand that oil industry does´nt favourisate this TDI technolgy :). It´s easy understandable.

Derar 16 V, your posting:

>Hi Ferdinand. Thanks for the excellent information on the pumpe-duse.

No problem, I´m happy about your resonace. My relatives aren´t very interested in cars and a little bit enerved hehe :).

>At this moment, regulations in the USA allow a max of 300 ppm (parts per million) of sulfur in diesel fuel. There are new regulations in the making that will reduce the sulfur limit to 30 ppm.

I have to see - I don´t know the exacly facts of the new engine. And I don´t know our regulations about sulfur in diesel fuel. But our poullution limits are very low too, but with the newest technology reachble. I think this makes sense.

>I believe the high sulfur concentration of American diesel is what keeps the pumpe-duse from working here. I really hope that the limits are lowered on sulfur so that VW can sell that excellent engine here.

Important is the fuel itself, too. I ve heard that we have very low niveau of sulfur in diesel fuel. I think in 5 years our diesel fuel for PKW´s (no trucks) will be completly sulfur free. In this case, this problem is solved.

>Man, a six-speed, 115 PS pumpe-duse Golf!!! That is the stuff dreams are made of, my friend. Consider yourself lucky. Please let us know here what your new Golf is like, after you have driven it for a while.

Yes it is. I had good luck - I´m 21 and I have enough money to buy it. My first TDI was finaced by my parents, a Golf III TDI with 90 hp. But I had accident - some didn´t see my priority. After this I had some coins over
and buyed myself a 110 hp TDI, whats mine yet. Now I earn my money wirh alternativ military service and Computers - I do administration of a linux server and some Sysop work. With computer stuff you can earn a lot of money - and with 2 jobs I can buy my dream car.

It is really cheap in Germany - 44500 DM with all thinkable stuff - air condition, cd changer, speed control, 4 doors, ESP (electronical stabilizer programm), radio transferred lock and so on... that are around 25 000 US-$. But you have everything in this car inclusive 6 speed and new technolgy. 8 weeks to go - then I´ll drive it before there are the first reports.
But it will a good car - the hole image of the big Volkswagen concern depends on it. Volkswagen is her common as GM in America.
I´ll tell you my experiences.

>I agree with you. Americans don't care about the environment and drive huge, wasteful cars. Unfortunately Americans hate all taxes and will not accept higher fuel taxes, so politicians do not dare raise them.
This is what I can understand. Fuel taxes are very high here - but diesel is the cheapest.
To give you a impression, here our prices (its crazy, do me a favour and poste it in gallons, I don´t know the American units):

in Munich, price per European Litre:

Diesel 0,74 $
Normal 0,94 $
Super 0,99 $

Avation Fuel, Avgas 100 LL : 1,40 $

This is the reason why we need cars with low fuel consumption urgently. You see this regulations cause a development like the TDI technolgy. If you had the same way, I think people were more enviroment mindend. Diesel technolgy is not so dirty how most Americans/Canadiens think.

>The only way Americans will abandon their huge irresponsible cars is if the oil prices go a lot higher.

That would be nice - Americans have the highest energy "waste". That could be a beginnig.

C ya nice greetings from Germany - 08:43 local here at the moment.

Ferdinand

S

SkyPup

Ferdinand, that was simply some GREAT information, thanks alot! I thought that the Lupo 3 cylinder TDI was the first commerical release of the Pump-Duse technology, although I wasn't quite sure about it. Now I see indeed that is true.
We over here would love to have Golf 6-speed with the 115HP Pump-Duse, what a wicked car, most definetly more outstanding than anything we could get our hands on over here.
I have a KTM Motorcycle from Austria that I had to import myself as they were unavailable here in North America, thanks to some friend in the U.K. and Deutschland. I had a terrible time getting a street license for it since the VIN numbers did not match anything in the computers here for the US government. After a long struggle, I am finally street legal and licensed!
But if I tried to buy a car like yours in Germany and then bring it back over here through customs, I don't think I could do it, no matter how much money I blew on the project.
We really appreciate your information. Many of us now are dreaming of you in your powerful Golf TDI Pump-Duse - what a dynomite machine!!!

I have the Wetterauer EPROM software in both my mild and meek mannered 90HP Amerikan TDI's, it is a real bonus bringing HP up to 115 and Torque to 185 lb/ft. I was wondering if you are aware of this modification and what your thoughts on that are? A 115HP Pump-Duse with Wetterauer software becomes quite a powerful autobahn burner. Are you knowledgeable of this and what are your thoughts on this subject? Danke Shurn unt Gutten Tag!

------------------
99 JETTA TDI WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 NB WETT SPEKTAKULARE TURBOKOMPRESSOR
97 KTM 620 ADVENTURE RALLY PARIS-DAKAR SUPER THUMPER

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited May 05, 1999).]

diesel_freak

Veteran Member
Ferdinand, here are German prices in dollars per gallon:

diesel: $2.81/gallon
normal: $3.57/gallon
super: $3.76/gallon
AVGAS 100LL: $5.32/gallon

For comparision here are the prices for the same fuels where I live (Kansas):

diesel: $1.05/gallon
normal: $1.00 to $1.05/gallon
super: $1.12/gallon
AVGAS 100LL: $1.95/gallon

I am also a pilot, and I am appalled at how hostile European governments, especially Germany, are to private airplane owners. Why? European pilots are amazed at the freedom Americans have in the sky.

M

mickey

16v, historically airplanes in Europe tend to be carrying, and dropping, bombs. We don't have that problem in the US very often. (Although there have been three cases in Salt Lake City of human waste falling out of the sky and splattering on peoples houses so far this month.)

-mickey

Discus

16 V, I´m asthonishing. You prices are very low. I can hardly afford to fly a Cessna 172 allone. I have to search for paying passengers - the only way of getting in the air.

By the way I do a lot of gliding - that ist not very expensive in Europe. The Alps offer best thermal conditions (1200 ft/min climbing without engine is possible. On some days I fly distance abou 500 km without engine).

Yes general avaition is very expensive especially in Germany. After your touch down you have to pay your landing tax....

At some fields, you aren´t allowed to start at noon because some people could by disturbed by the noise of engine. I hate this. I flew a 210 in Nambia / South Africa - that was pure freedom. I´ll miss it. I´ll do my airline licenses in America for improving my English and have the freedom you talk about.

That you have trouble getting a 6 speed Golf TDI with pump duse is a relative little problem compared to my problems here.

I can hardly afford here general aviation.

Tazzman

Veteran Member
Here in the Toronto GTA
deisel is about .42 a litre to .48
average is 44.9 right now
I fill up at 42.9 a litre
Has prices ever gone up !
By the way one reason prices are cheeper here
is because North america is so vast.
Especiallly in Canada.

S

SkyPup

Germany's government is considering raising taxes on gasoline and diesel fuels of high sulfur content next year. A draft legislation would raise tax on high-sulfur gasoline and diesel but not on fuels with a low sulfur content.

The increase in fuel taxes should be introduced not later than July 1, 2000. It could be included in the second phase of the German "ecological tax reform."

The planned tax increases would be 3 pfennigs per liter of gasoline and 4 pfennigs per liter of diesel (in the tax reform's first phase, gasoline prices were raised by 6 pfennigs a liter). The increases could raise 500 million marks in the first year and 350 million marks in the second year. According to a EU Directive, high sulfur fuels should be phased-out by the year 2005.

The use of high sulfur fuels produces emissions of sulfur dioxide and interferes with emission control catalysts. According to a EU 1996 standard (EN 590), the current maximum sulfur content in diesel fuel is 500 ppm.

April 30, 1999

We all be in the same boat with the fuel tax
Hopefully associated with increased costs to consumers will be increased quality as well!