psi power box

zukvw

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle, 04 jetta pd
finally after making sure all prior problems were resolved, a couple of minor codes (just got this car not to long ago), i got to put on my power box....i was very impressed, much more responsive, but i floored it getin on the highway and flew up to 80ish very quickly and boom i through a check engine light and went into limp mode *******....so i get home and check the code, overboost limit reached....i guess its time for a boost gauge, does anyone know how to adjust the jumpers in the box, its supposed to have 4 power levels from what i have read.... i didnt get any instructions with it.....

edit...this is for a pd bew....

Last edited:

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
Get real tune and no need to remove/install or instructions, but of course install the boost gauge is recommended.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
say hello to numerous fueling issues down the road, this thing tricks the ECU into thinking the fuel is actually colder than what it is and dumps more fuel.
Ask me how I know....

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would remove the tuning box and throw it in the trash and then get a real tune.

A tuning box tricks the ECU by causing erroneous info to be sent to the ECU were as a real tune re-maps the ECU performance maps to achieve the performance results the programmer programs into it.

Almost forgot, a boost gage and an EGT gage should be mandatory if you are performance tuning.

Last edited:

CPMatt

TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI
I'm curious...

If someone programs the fuel/timing maps to create a specific set of parameters and you are able to achieve the same parameters by modifying an incoming signal or signals, what's the difference?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The difference is that a box works with maybe 2 or 3 of the signals the ECU receives, were a tune sees all the various signals as they really are and reprograms the ECU to provide performance based on what the programmer writes into the map that controls fueling, boost etc.

A box basically lies to the ECU about 3 signals or so were as a tune reprograms how the ECU processes perhaps as many as 30 signals from the various sensors to achieve the performance the programmer is requesting.

With a properly written tune, you will not have DTCs to deal with or have to tweak with "potentiometers" in an attempt to get the car to run correctly.

The best part about a tune is if there are issues, the tuner can fix the problems through programming and E-mail you a new map which is easily re-flashed to your ECU through your diagnostic port. (OBD2)

Last edited:

CPMatt

TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI
I understand the difference... I'm just asking what does it matter if the final outcome is the same and the tuning box doesn't have any negative effects?

If there is evidence showing negative effects, then point the original poster in that direction. Telling him to throw it in the trash isn't very productive... especially when he came here asking a specific question regarding a product he already owns.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I did edit my original post since you posted last.

"Throwing the tuning box in the trash" was my way of explaining what a bad idea tuning boxes really are.

With a tuning box, what is changed is extremely limited and can be very problematic as to getting it to play correctly.

With a tune, you have absolutely no constraints except for the physical limitations of the turbo, injectors, gearing or exhaust as to what you can reprogram to achieve the performance you require. And as a plus, a tune can be set up to still maintain legal emissions.

CPMatt

TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI
Agreed that it's more likely you will have tuning problems, but tons of people utilize a tuning box without issue.

-Matt

zukvw

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle, 04 jetta pd
yes i know a tune is much better overall, and am very familiar with most tuning boxes and how they fool the ecu vs. proper programing, but for $60, i really think its a great start, and would recomend it to anyone that can get one for good price...i will get a tune when budget allows, and pass my box on to someone else for a budget mod..........

JoeHafner

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta 2014
say hello to numerous fueling issues down the road, this thing tricks the ECU into thinking the fuel is actually colder than what it is and dumps more fuel.
Ask me how I know....
Wrong! The PSI is a unit which is installed AFTER the ECU directly to the injectors to increase injection duration.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wrong! The PSI is a unit which is installed AFTER the ECU directly to the injectors to increase injection duration.
whatever, still garbage and I learned my lesson and ditched it and went with a tune, no pump issues after that or CEL's,:)

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Old tech thats all. Why go that route?

Been 9 years since I dumped mine...

JoeHafner

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta 2014
whatever, still garbage and I learned my lesson and ditched it and went with a tune, no pump issues after that or CEL's,:)
Wow...You must be really good since the O/P is talking about a unit for a 2004-2006 PD engine. How did you manage to make that work on your ALH? :rolleyes:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow...You must be really good since the O/P is talking about a unit for a 2004-2006 PD engine. How did you manage to make that work on your ALH? :rolleyes:
I was talking about the ALH not the PD thanks ;) but then again it's not my car not my money so the OP is free to do what he sees fit, maybe he will buy one of your units...

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip

lol:D

well as everyone knows digital tuning boxes are just resistors, so it is reasonable to assume that one resistor will fit another engine just fine (just forget about the wiring harness thingy problem):rolleyes:

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
lol:D

well as everyone knows digital tuning boxes are just resistors, so it is reasonable to assume that one resistor will fit another engine just fine (just forget about the wiring harness thingy problem):rolleyes:
You're soo wrong mate ! The pd tuning box is quite a fancy unit and works by injecting more fuel and increasing fuel pressure, just like a fancy tune does- just not in such a controlled manner... To be honest i have seen soo many junk tunes here in uk that i would rather trust a well known tuning box with a TUV certificate !

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
You're soo wrong mate ! The pd tuning box is quite a fancy unit and works by injecting more fuel and increasing fuel pressure, just like a fancy tune does- just not in such a controlled manner... To be honest i have seen soo many junk tunes here in uk that i would rather trust a well known tuning box with a TUV certificate !

sorry to confuse you, my post was intended to be sarcastic, there are a few guys here that think all tuning modules are ebay resistors, which of course is not true

i agree with you that the psi box is good

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
sorry to confuse you, my post was intended to be sarcastic, there are a few guys here that think all tuning modules are ebay resistors, which of course is not true

i agree with you that the psi box is good
My bad then...Sorry !