project: rally fever/ light bar

b1gmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I like the way the wiring was done. Looks very clean. When (if Wifey lets me) I get one, I'll go with some split-tubing to hide the wires a little more. Keep it all black :)

Keep up the good work :)

~ryan

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
For the really devious folks out there, you could use this to mount a large headlamp with an infrared filter. It seems that there are certain "speed measurement" devices out there that operate in the same band. Not much of a contest when milliwatts meet watts. Car and Driver found that if it was combined with the proper warning device, the driver was able to get an alert and slow down before a lock-on. Whereas with just a warning device, the lock-on and warning happened simultaneously...:rolleyes:;)

flatblackrab

Veteran Member
TDI
none but sell me yours
production work has started, im gonna make 20 of these....prices are still up in the air but all the quotes should be worked out soon.

im getting a test cnc mandrel bent bar in this week and im gonna weld it up as soon as my fixture is done.

for now i just got done threading all the end caps....went out of my may to make everything metric :)

every bar i sell will come with all the hardware need to install them on your ride.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Are you seeing anyone....:p
This looks very cool. Any idea what avg price of lamps would be? The thin (shallow) style.
Four lamp mounts maybe?

Dave:D

Last edited:

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
flatblackrab said:
production work has started, im gonna make 20 of these....prices are still up in the air but all the quotes should be worked out soon.

im getting a test cnc mandrel bent bar in this week and im gonna weld it up as soon as my fixture is done.

for now i just got done threading all the end caps....went out of my may to make everything metric :)

every bar i sell will come with all the hardware need to install them on your ride.

Schweet...I'm keepin' an eye on this thread. :D

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Just thought I would bump up this pic, as it is extremely cool :D
Any plans on having mounts for four lights? Any one else interested in having four light tabs insted of two? Too much????:rolleyes:

b1gmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
pghPAtdi said:
Any plans on having mounts for four lights? Any one else interested in having four light tabs insted of two? Too much????:rolleyes:
4 lights would be cool. Very bright:D.

4 lights would be better if there were tabs for top & bottom mounts.

2 top mounts for big driving lights. 2 bottom mounts for fog lights. I know it would be possible to go with stock fog lights in the bumper, but I'd rather put them on that bar.

That would be more useful / give more utility to the light bar than 4 monster driving lights up top, JMHO.

~ryan

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
b1gmoose said:
4 lights would be better if there were tabs for top & bottom mounts.

2 top mounts for big driving lights. 2 bottom mounts for fog lights.
At that hight you can put 2+2 (2 driving + 2 fog lights) or make all 4 driving lights. I'd rather have 4 driving lights since I have fog lights in my headlights :)

MWVDUB

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
well we got our first good snow today. About 3-4 inches so far. I am thinking that I can justify buying one of these now.

TateG

TDI
2000 Jetta, blue
I would love something like that, but at that height it would be bashed and broken in days here in Seattle, land of parallel parking. Well, the bar might be intact but the lights would be smashed. Here it seems people use your bumper to judge how close they are to you. I really wanted to do something similar, but more brushguard-like to actually protect the lights a bit. It does give me some good ideas as to mounting though, thanks.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
TateG said:
I would love something like that, but at that height it would be bashed and broken in days here in Seattle, land of parallel parking. Well, the bar might be intact but the lights would be smashed. Here it seems people use your bumper to judge how close they are to you. I really wanted to do something similar, but more brushguard-like to actually protect the lights a bit. It does give me some good ideas as to mounting though, thanks.
Just put a couple of forward facing metal spikes on the bar and you will take care of the parking problem ;)

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
Yesterday I watched Canadian Rally Championship - all night stages. 4 driving lights does a great job but not oncoming traffic friendly ;)

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
I bet money on it. Trimming for the lower ducts might be slightly different though.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Just keeping up on the progress. How's it going getting those bars CNC'd? Any guestimate on when you'll have a batch ready? Can you tell my mouth is drooling? ;)

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I just want something nice and bright for the back country roads, or the a$$holes on the highway that cut me off :)

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
pghPAtdi said:
Too much? Never! I saw this thread and figured I'd post what I had fabricated up. I was worried I might have gone overboard with what I put on, but after a few rallies, I don't think it's too much at all.

View from the front:

Side:

Quarter shot (best shot I have of the mounting) (I had the camera at a funny angle, which is why the bar looks angled up):

And just for kicks, what it looks like when it gets dark:

I use this for rallying (TSD/drivex) at night. Took these pictures Saturday night after a rally in MI. I only use the HID 4000's when I'm on the real back roads. I've got one pencil and one driving beam mounted up top. The Bosch's are good general purpose driving beam at 100 W a piece. I take the 4000's off when I'm not using them. I've been leaving the bar on lately, but usually have the Bosch lamps covered. Never really understood the point of having fogs in the headlamp, so I went with the Hella Micro DE in the vents. Yes, I know they block the intercooler somewhat. I've got graphs of the change in IAT around here somewhere. I trimmed out the vents and the fender liner to give more a little more airflow.

I really like flatblackrab's mounting system better than mine. I welded four nuts to the underside of the bumper. It's OK, but they can be tough to get to. I would much prefer flatblackrab's mounting, possiblely with two bolts per side (that way there isn't a pivot point around a single bolt).

I hand bent the bar. I would like to make another, but don't want to hand bend it again. I definitely want the height. Getting the HIDs up to hood level really makes a big difference. Especially getting that pencil beam up. It really helps to have it that high.

It'd be really nice to get a CNC bent bar (of the same general shape as mine) using a mounting system similar to flatblackrab's. How hard is it to get the design into SolidWorks? I've got a friend who's uses, I think, I'll have to see.

Flatblackrab, any interest?