Programmers???

howesje

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Jarmstrong said:
It's a blessing that these boxes aren't as available for the TDI, that means there's less abused TDIs on the market.

Every freaking "arm chair mechanic" with a diesel truck wants to put a chip in them, be cool, and run them hard. never upgrading anything else. then they get rid of them and an abused truck is on the used market. or they complain when they break something and there warranty is void.
I am sure this does happen but I would bet that for every one fo the "hotrods" out there, there is one that is not. I really don't think "everyone" trashes their vehicle just because it has a tune. I want the programmer mainly for milage. I would also like the ability to put in different tunes and make minor adjustments w/o having to send my ECU to someone or drive to a tuner. That is what I have with my gaser truck and I like it. Gives me some control over what is going on. Also when I have to take my truck to the shop I can remove the tune so they don't re-flash over my custom and I lose it forever.

Luckily for me there is a tuner moving to within 90 miles of me so I am going that route. Otherwise I would have waited until there is more choice out there.

Not that I want to get too far off subject, I really don't think the reason for beat up or abused TDI's is 2nd to the tuners. That is all choice of the driver. I am sure they could just as easily hot rod a stock TDI but that is just my $.02.

J.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
While you all talk about the Q-Loader . When you change it to another set of instructions(Computer talk here) It changes the way the Fuel and air intakes correct? Is the Q-Loader run on C++ language, Fortran,Basic,RPGII or Pascal or what? And if you know, is the code displayed when you see it on the PC/Laptop? If the code is displayed and you have that particular Programming language you can just edit it to your own specs. Or send it to me and I can change it.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Lefty said:
While you all talk about the Q-Loader . When you change it to another set of instructions(Computer talk here) It changes the way the Fuel and air intakes correct? Is the Q-Loader run on C++ language, Fortran,Basic,RPGII or Pascal or what? And if you know, is the code displayed when you see it on the PC/Laptop? If the code is displayed and you have that particular Programming language you can just edit it to your own specs. Or send it to me and I can change it.
The Q-loader is just a tool which reads and writes the flash data in the ECU. It does not display any of the data at all. After you read the stock file it is made available for you to send back to Kerma to then be modified. The earlier ones were unencrypted while the later ones are encrypted.

The stock ECU flash is typically made using assembly code and for the most part we don't decompile this, only alter it in it's current state. Different aspects of the code can be found due to characteristics such as the numeric range, sequences, and the way that the manufacturer tends to group values associated with a specific function of the ECU.

When it comes down to it, to be a successful chiptuner it is more important to have a good knowledge of engines than it is to have a good knowledge of programming.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
engineperformancetuning said:
Sorry to disappoint you, EDC 17 is been out there for 2 years now in Europe,Regardless if is CRD or PD system and none mayde a Smoke box for it, "Tricore"/EDC17/MED 17 ECU's dose not like to full them, those can be tuned very soon anyway
Those could be tuned months ago also.. problem is the tools available today aren't what I would call a bargain..

Hopefully the people in hong kong will make a clone soon:D