Pre 5000 oil change

Tom Kuc

Veteran Member
Changed the engine lube, Delvac 1, at 2000 miles, couldn't resist the urge any longer. Some real neat looking stuff came out, after 1200 miles the engine still does not use a molecule of motor lube-nor has mileage changed. I am beginning to suspect that the initial fill is a synthetic.
Called four dealers to get input into this early change issue, three said they would wait one laughed and said to change anytime-my kind of guy!!!

Dezl Don

Veteran Member
I also changed early -- at 1,000 miles. I find it very difficult to believe that changing your oil early can be harmful. But apparently others believe otherwise. I'll change oil every 5,000 miles because that seems appropriate to me. If my engine grenades after 100,000 miles, I'll know I screwed up.

------------------
Dezl Don

M

mickey

My take on this question has always been that there's no reason to change it before 5K, and that VW specifically recommends that you don't do it. I doubt that it will actually hurt anything.

-mickey

Strack

Veteran Member
Put 5K on the break in oil, then replace it with CG-4, CH-4 rated oil and don't worry about it for at leat another 5-6k miles!!

Run synthetic oil for better turbo protection and drain intervals, but don't get anal about it..

Most of all, ENJOY your TDI!! That's why we bought them!!