pp520 IQ Settings

Big Jimmy

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here... I don't know. But I'm confused, so I'm going to swing away...

I've got a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 5-speed ALH.

The car is completely stock, except for it now has pp520 injectors in it. I've set the timing to be within the upper half of the range limit on the graph. But I'm not sure what else I need to do.

I've read a bunch of different posts that I've found on here. And seen a bunch of different things about IQ settings and Adaptation, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to set mine up. I have Vag-Com, but I haven't had much spare time to experiment, so I really don't know much at all about the software... And I don't want to screw things up by thinking that I know what I'm doing when I really have no idea.

Here's my goal: I just want a daily driver, commuter car that gets great mpg. Prior to the upgrade, I always got 47.5 mpg. Now after the upgrade, I get 42 - 43 mpg along with a lot more smoke. I thought that I would be getting 50+ mpg with this upgrade. And I'm not looking for any kind of chip tune. I don't really want to spend the money on that right now.

While reading other posts on here, it seems like when people talk about IQ and different size injectors, they almost always have other mods or upgrades as well. So that's where I start to lose focus because it seems like it all gets too complicated.

So my question is: How am I supposed to set up my car? Like I said, it's totally stock, except for pp520's.

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere, but I couldn't find the info myself. And I've just been reading through so many different posts, I feel like my head is going to explode from too much information.

Thanks guys.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You need to raise the IQ. Go into VAG-COM, click on engine, then:

1. click on Log In (on the right)
  2. type 12233, click on "Do it!"
  3. Click on Adaption
  4. You'll see a field where you can change the IQ number: default is 32768.
  5. A lower number = less fuel. This is a bit of trial and error, but you want to get the IQ number to between 3.6 and 4.0, at least to start.
  6. Try typing in 32700 and click on "Test" and see what the IQ changes to.
  7. You can experiment with bringing that five digit number up and down to get to 4.0 or thereabouts
  8. Lowest you can go is 32645, highest is 32784 (IIRC).
Once you have the IQ around 4.0 you can click on "Save" and it'll ask "are you sure?" Click "yes".

See how smoke is. Higher IQ will give you less smoke, but less power, too. And unless you're driving the car hard or it was smoking really badly, it won't make a huge difference in FE.

If you can't get the IQ in the 3.6-4.0 range you may have to do what's called a Hammer Mod. Search for that here for more info.

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
I have used the pp520s in two 2002 TDIs (5-speed). This is an excellent upgrade but the IQ needs to be pushed to around 6.5 according to Drivbiwire (Pete). The best approach is to use the "hammer mod" to change the IQ.

You have a sweet system - just tweak it!

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have used the pp520s in two 2002 TDIs (5-speed). This is an excellent upgrade but the IQ needs to be pushed to around 6.5 according to Drivbiwire (Pete). The best approach is to use the "hammer mod" to change the IQ.
I'm not sure why you'd want IQ that high.

Stock is normally close to 3.8. It drops to around 2 when you install PP520s. The goal is to set it back to stock, which is usually achievable with adaptation.

Simon

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
The lower the IQ number the greater the fuel injected = too much smoke. Setting the IQ to 6 will reduce the smoke, get the mileage up, and still be fun to drive.

micah360

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
get a tune and take full advantage of those nozzles! I installed the Sprint 520s and thought I was going to leave it at that too (changed IQ to 4), but I couldn't handle it and the tune was calling my name. KermaTDI baby...

Big Jimmy

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Done

Thanks guys. That's exactly the info I needed. Last night I played with the numbers, and I got the IQ to 4.8. Looks like that's as far as I can go with out doing the hammer mod. I took it for a drive and there is vertually no more smoke, unless I put it to the floor. And even then, it's not too bad at all. Before the change it was down around 2 and it would be smoking no matter what, even if I tried to accelerate slow like a semi. Although, I did also notice a bit less power, overall. But that makes sense too... Less fuel = less power.

So for now, I'm going to leave it set right here, and see what that does for my fuel economy.

And I know, I should probably just get a tune, as well. I think about it all the time. But I just don't want to spend the money on it right now. And there's so many tune options out there, it's really hard to figure out the best one / best price. But it's been a while since I really tried to research those options.

Anyway, like I said... I'll leave it here for now, and see what happens. Then if I want a little more power back, I'll drop it back down a bit and try it at 4.2 or 4 and see what happens to mpg and smoke level.

Thanks again everybody.