Possibly damaged EGR valve?

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Previous Owner had intake manifold cleaned 20k miles ago.

I wonder if the integral EGR valve was damaged in the cleaning process - I am having the following symptoms:

1. CEL: intermittent egr control difference, on for about 20 days

2. Noise: when it makes the noise it happens immediately after cold engine start, but not everytime and never on warm engine start, so far; almost sounds like it might be a bad starter, but only began after CEL came on. As I understand it, the EGR cycles during idle and and is operated by vacuum.

3. Low mpg: consistently ~40mpg; may or may not be related... (pre-existing condition and maybe another issue)

4. Some oil consumption on last long roadtrip... may be normal from what I have read from other owners since it seems to level off consumption when it gets to lower side of hash mark on dip stick.

5. Some exhaust fumes noticed under oil fill cap

The car starts and runs great. It has good pull and sounds fine too.

Let me know what you think.

pinehead

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Are you basing your mileage on "corrected mileage". Or are you just winging it?

Your speedometer is probably off one way or the other. For example... I run the factory size tires on my car. The mileage has been around 44 MPG. But that translates into 42 MPG once corrected for speedometer error. My speedometer is 4 MPH off. When the car is indicating 55 MPH I'm only moving 51 MPH.

There are numerous things that can affect mileage. My last Passat TDI got 44 to 47 MPG all the time. This one needs some work to get to that point.

You should be seing higher figures with the Jetta. Especially a manual trans.

AJ

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
you're right, I should see higher mpg figures with my Jetta.