Poor warm start and shifting 1.9 BEW

Nick.G.S

TDI
05 Auto Golf 1.9 TDI BEW
Hello all, I'm hoping someone with more insight than me could provide me with some advice on an issue that is currently unfolding with my 2005 Golf 1.9 TDI BEW 5sp auto/tiptronic (09A I believe) with 135,100 miles. I recently had my timing belt and water pump replaced this past week and have begun to run into some issues upon warm starts. I will attempt to be as thorough as possible.

On a cold start, the engine turns over pretty much immediately and the car behaves in a normal fashion. My shifts are generally pleasant and acceleration is unproblamatic. Once the engine is completely warmed up, it continues to behave and shift like it should. Now say I stop the car to run into the store for 10 - 60 minutes, when I go to turn the car on it takes a considerable amount of cranking for the engine to turn over, around 3 - 4 seconds. When the engine does finally turn over the rpms shoot up to 2000 before dropping back down into idle around 800-900 rpms. When my car starts like this I know I am in trouble for the rest of the drive. The car over revs when shifting through every gear and this is generally accompanied by very harsh shifting. 1st to 2nd is rough, but 2nd to 3rd is the worst. The whole car jerks forward like I've just been rear ended. 3rd to 4th isn't pleasant and 4th to 5th is the smoothest, albiet still clunky. Trying to accelerate when my transmission is shifting like this is pretty hard and if I come to a stop at a red light, the car will idle at a rather noisy 1000 rpms. I have no check engine light and my OBD scanner is not picking up any codes.

I know my tranny has a 00300 code, which is the trans temp sensor I believe. Whenever my transmission has acted strange before, either switching into tiptronic or simply turning the car off and on again would fix the issue. This problem I have now seems to be exacerbated by turning the vehicle off and on again. Last time I attempted to resolve the issue this way, it appeared to make my shifting problems worse. My steering wheel would shake going from 1st to 2nd and placing the car in Drive would result in a delay followed by a very harsh and clunky engagement.

I'm really scratching my head here and am looking for any advice people may have. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I am happy to clarify any questions!

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Did you do the work yourself or a shop? Was it a VW specific shop or a general one?

Nick.G.S

TDI
05 Auto Golf 1.9 TDI BEW
Did you do the work yourself or a shop? Was it a VW specific shop or a general one?
It was at a TDI VW specific shop. The shop is Courtesy Auto here in Madison. Dave (the owner) does seem incredibly knowledgeable and forth coming with information or answers to questions that I have.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
It was at a TDI VW specific shop. The shop is Courtesy Auto here in Madison. Dave (the owner) does seem incredibly knowledgeable and forth coming with information or answers to questions that I have.
Hmm, that makes it even more mysterious. I would maybe give them/him a call and see if he has any insight, since it wasn't like this before the work.

At the very least I would ask about where they set the cam/crank timing, and maybe see if they would give it a check to see if something went awry (from post #2).

I know setting that torsion value can have some effects on starting/running & mileage issues. But unless it was way out I don't know that your specific problems would occur.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
All internal combustion engines like a bit of advance when warm, conversely a bit retarded helps some when cold.

Nick.G.S

TDI
05 Auto Golf 1.9 TDI BEW
Hmm, that makes it even more mysterious. I would maybe give them/him a call and see if he has any insight, since it wasn't like this before the work.

At the very least I would ask about where they set the cam/crank timing, and maybe see if they would give it a check to see if something went awry (from post #2).

I know setting that torsion value can have some effects on starting/running & mileage issues. But unless it was way out I don't know that your specific problems would occur.
Thank you for the suggestion! I'll go ahead and give his shop a call and see if they have any input.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Might also be worth looking at the various temperature sensors with VCDS. Check when cold, they should read ambient more less, check when hot to see if any are abnormal.

Nick.G.S

TDI
05 Auto Golf 1.9 TDI BEW
Might also be worth looking at the various temperature sensors with VCDS. Check when cold, they should read ambient more less, check when hot to see if any are abnormal.
Currently driving home for the holidays. My OBD reader is showing some incredibly bizzare readings. The temp gauge in the vehicle warmed up to 190°f but my scanner is showing a ECT reading of 19°f. It will randomly read hotter around 178-185, but never 190, before dropping down into something insane like -14°f. I think my coolant temp sensor is fubared.