Please help!

TDIHelpMe

TDI
I start college in two weeks and will have to commute daily. My father gave me his 2006 Jetta TDI with about 100k on the dial. He has done all the servicing himself and is pretty fanatic about it. About two months ago while I was driving the clutch pedal went to the floor. I actually picked it up with my foot and it starting working fine again for about a month. then it went to the floor and there it stayed. My father has been extremely busy so he gave me the VW manual and said fix it. I replaced the master and slave clutch cylinders and also both lines from the reservoir to the slave. when I go to bleed the system I get a milky discharge and the pedal does not come back. I use a power bleeder and follow the manual step per step. My father came out and said I did everything the correct way and we switched out the clutch and slave cylinders again with new parts and had the same results. I'm at my wits end. The brakes work great. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. The next step maybe for a good mechanic in our area.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
The clutch/brake reservoir is the same, and its tough to bleed clutch because the feed to the clutch master cylinder is at the top of the liquid level for the reservoir. A power bleeder makes it easier to bleed, I would fill the reservoir to the tippy top, install the power bleeder and just open the slave just enough to observe the brake fluid exiting, observe the fluid until there is no aeration to the fluid.

Take your time here, dont rush and let the fluid flow for a little bit and enough to get the fluid crystal clear. Then I always go back and pump bleed it a couple times from there.

Tip, the clutch pedal with no resistance on it will want to go to the floor, I usually toe underneath it to prevent that. That will mess up the purge procedure if not careful. Tip, use no more pressure on the power bleeder that is required to move fluid as too much pressure~15psi will aerate the fluid. Its very easy to get air in the fluid because of the height of the fluid has to be maintained in the reservoir or air will enter the system.

Good luck hope this helps

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
From what I found bleeding my slave cylinder, is that one only needs to crack the bleed screw very little, and a little fluid will flow out. If you open the bleed screw too much, air gets in through the threads, putting an air bubble back in the system.

Do you have a helper to press on the clutch pedal as you open the bleed screw? Try having the helper only press half way down on the clutch pedal, then open the bleed screw a little, until fluid flows out, then have the helper press all the way down, then close the bleed screw. Try this several times.

I found a trick on a forum (can't find that forum or the thread), to reverse bleed the clutch slave.
Since the brakes and the clutch share the same reservoir, I connected a tube between the front brake caliper (drivers side) bleed screw, and the clutch slave bleed screw. I opened both bleed screws, and pumped the brake pedal slowly to force fluid from the brake caliper into the clutch slave and up to the master cylinder, pushing the air bubbles up. After a number of pumps and ensured the tube between the caliper and slave was full of fluid, and that I felt the fluid had flowed up from the slave into the master, I closed both bleed screws, and then carefully removed the tube that was full of fluid.

TDIHelpMe

TDI
Sorry, I have been able to respond, college is all digital and it takes some getting used to. o I did everything that was mentioned and I was bleeding clear fluid but I still have no pedal? What is going on here? Any local mechanics near Lancaster, Ohio? Getting frustrated.