Picked up a GQ ECU

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Went to an air cooled VW show and a vedor there had a lot of water cooled parts, one of which was a GQ ECU from a 97 TDI for $10. Per seller the ECU is a good one. Any checks or precautions I should take before plugging in the harness?

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Went to an air cooled VW show and a vedor there had a lot of water cooled parts, one of which was a GQ ECU from a 97 TDI for $10. Per seller the ECU is a good one. Any checks or precautions I should take before plugging in the harness?
Was this the Litchfield Bug-In? Haven't gone in a couple of years due to the death of a close buddy I went with annually. Good turn out?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
My 97's use the FA, The GQ should work fine in your 96. Definitely replace the vac line, and maybe get it chipped at a GTG this Sat.

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Was this the Litchfield Bug-In? Haven't gone in a couple of years due to the death of a close buddy I went with annually. Good turn out?
It was the Bug-in but was in Harwinton (Fairgrounds).Weather and turnout was great. I've gone to it the past 3 years and found deals on parts.. Sorry about your buddy.

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Yup, replace that little bit of hose inside before installing. Motor on.
I pressure tested it first and it holds. Took it apart to inspect and the black hose is soft with a gummy feel at the ends so I replaced it with a polyurethane hose which should last a while.

Any electrical checks I should perform on the ECU before plugging it in?

phillke

TDI
1996 passat b4 now with 376,000 mi
Is there any performance difference between the BK and the GQ? Other than the 5th injector.

I have the original BK in my 96 sedan.

Last edited:

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Just swapped out the BK for the GQ. It works! Took me a minute to figure out I had to remove the hose then pull the connector handle to eject it instead of prying.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Is there any performance difference between the BK and the GQ? Other than the 5th injector.

I have the original BK in my 96 sedan.
My experience was that the BK, once the 5th injector was stopped, provided better fuel economy.
Maybe 1 mpg, or 2% better. But that's stock.
There are few, if any, chip tunes for the BK. There are quite a few more choices for use with the GQ.

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
My experience was that the BK, once the 5th injector was stopped, provided better fuel economy.
Maybe 1 mpg, or 2% better. But that's stock.
There are few, if any, chip tunes for the BK. There are quite a few more choices for use with the GQ.
You must have very sophisticated equipment/method to discern 1 mpg 2%. Care to share your method? Over how many tankfulls was that measurement made?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Oh, 60 ~ 70 fill-ups or so with each ECU.
Those were back when my job had me driving 40k+ miles a year on business.