Phucking Mice

tdiphile

TDI
2003 Jetta
If you have the car parked where this is tolerable, leave the hood up. This will keep rodents from wanting to live or work in your engine bay. No traps, poisons, or 'chewn' hoodliners necessary.

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
????

There has to be something out there that is Commercially Available that repels mice.

Don't bother asking for anything at Walmart/Canadian Tire/Etc. Duh!

Try an Industrial Supplier or a Supplier of Janitorial Supplies. I am going to, as a precaution.

I had a mouse problem on my '02TDI. Now I have an '09TDI EE-GADS!

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
meowguy said:
My personal experience with mice is vast. I have delt with them in the ceiling of my cellar. Where you see one, there are many more.

Unfortunately my former cat, a siamese, thought it beyond her dignity to hunt mice. She had the ability to patrol the highest and lowest areas of any room including door sills and the top of the refrigerator, but she would not hunt.

My cairn terrier is a hunter, but he is confined to the lower reaches and thus cannot pursue prey above two feet off the ground. Any small animal that comes within his reach is immediately reduced to mashed fur and guts.

You might try employing the services of a hunter\killer cat, or a cairn terrier with wings (God forbid). I will be interviewing cats for this position in my home in a few weeks. Cats like to curl up under the hood in winter, so be careful before you start the car or the hood liner will have quite a different look to it. ;)
If you want a cat that kills mice get a female tabby. They will stay up for days until they kill/torture/disembowel every mouse in their territory.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
dayne66 said:
Those elctronic mouse repellants keep the critters away. I had a house with a walk-out basement on an acreage a few years ago...in the fall if one of the doors was left open, even for a few minutes while carting groceries in, we'd have a few mice. I added a couple plug-ins facing the doors and bought 2 electronic mouse repellant things and never had another in the house again, even though we had the doors open for the better part of a day while painting.

They do work...bought them at an extermination company's shop...even at my next house I put them in the recepticle on the ceiling for the garage door opener and I did't have mice...but some neighbors did.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
My VW airbox is a favored target, as is the battery tray on my wife's Corolla (excuse the profanity). I can live with that - as if I had a choice. What really makes me think of getting a cat is the magneto on my Wheelhorse garden tractor that i have to replace religiously every other year. For some reason the little mousies just LOVE the insulation on that cable, but never know to stop chewing when they hit wire. Those mags are expensive too! I tried wrapping one with aluminum tape but it didn't phase them. Next time around I'll just coat the wire with used razor blade edges and see what happens.

Oblio13

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat
There's a power line buried from our house to our dock. It quit working and I had to dig the whole thing up. Found the insulation chewed off and an electrocuted chipmunk.

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
I'll trade you the moles in my yard for the mice in your garage. Not a fair trade though, because we have two cats that overnight in the garage every night.

Try getting rid of moles. Impossible.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
SootFoot said:
I'll trade you the moles in my yard for the mice in your garage. Not a fair trade though, because we have two cats that overnight in the garage every night.

Try getting rid of moles. Impossible.
I had moles on my acreage too.....I pumped the septic tank in one hole at the top of the yard.......about 3 hours later there were a few wet spots at the bottom end of the yard and into the hay field....and no more moles that year....so I did that whenever a mound or 2 appeared at the edge of my property

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
I was told that many plastic wire coatings are soybean based now, instead of good old petroleum based. Mice can tell. They got behind my washing machine panel and chewed wires in two so the timer was off line. I repaired it and left some bar bait (from the feed store) n case they get in there again.

Cought 5 mice inside the wife's Grand Cheokee, but I think there's still some in there

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
happened to me too -> parked in garage and mice chewed through the windshield washer tubes :<

shocker

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Okay...this is bulls-hit. Went outside to work on the snowmobile and decided to check the oil on the TDI. Opened the hood and looked at the liner. I thought it looked more chewed than before. I thought ***??? Looked at the oil fill cap where the s-hit is usally and there were a few turds. I turned around and looked down at the trap near the wall...another PHUCKING mouse.

I need to spray something on the hood liner that will deter them from chewing on it. Any suggestions? I was thinking of a thin film of WD 40. I used that stuff to start my lawnmower in the spring, lube rusty bolts, start camp fires, spray ignition wires to keep them water proof. Maybe it will work for pissing off a mouse? I'm going to go to the WD40 website where people can enter what different ways they have used WD40.

Damn mice...its really pissing me off

shocker

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Okay...I just checked the WD40 2000 uses on their website. Can't find anything on mice but they did list spraying on trees to keep beavers from chewing on them, spraying along the bottom of a fence to keep rodents and rabbits out and spraying on phone lines to keep puppies from chewing on them. I'm going to give it a light mist...hopefully it doesnt stink too bad

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
pull the hood liner out for a while? think you got trouble my german sheperd lets herself into the cars when we are not home or she stays out after curfew.
glue traps aka gluey louey(misspelt)is a good one it fold up like a triangle tube so they have less room to turture themselves and you know you got em rather than poison it and have it die somewhere in your car. They are on the top of pita's list for cruelty for a reason though, but is it unethical treatment just to get a cat to eat your mice? I have 4 cats on the property and still have acorns on the battery and cowl tray .

Last edited:

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
If you're really into sadistic forms of mouse trapping, get a few glue traps and some 2 inch dia pvc pipe about 3 feet long. Mold the traps so they slide in the pipe, one after another till there are about 3 in there, then fill a pvc 2 inch cap with brown sugar, really pack it in there, then put the cap on the end closest to the glue trap. Lay it on the floor and wait about a week. It will be full of tennants sooner than you think. They'll crawl over their own dead and dying to get to the far end, where they'll be trapped and die. The fun is checking on it every couple days, where you'll hear them in there, trapped, and just screeching away. When it's full, cap the other end and discard. Repeat as needed.

Osage Orange

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta *sold*
Deer Mice like to drown themselves.

On my homestead, Ive found that the heated water buckets in our barnyard have been effective passive mouse traps. I get a floater atleast once a week sometimes. I throw the dead mice to our chickens, they love the protein:D. Also Ive found pepper spray is quite effective in deterring mice when applied to points of entry. We also use the usual rat poisons in the machine shed and the plug in sonic repellents. You really have to hit these mice from all angles. Big one, eliminate all food source availability to them. The further they have to travel to get food the more likely they are to stay in the other area;)

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
There are quite a few good if not sadistic (and therefore awesome) ideas on here... those that have cats and still have rodent issues- feed your cats a little less. They will find a way to supplement their diet.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Guys, rodent control has gone hi-tech:

This device works awesome. It's powered by 4 D cells and a huge capacitor :)

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 6spd, 2010, Blue
Kill them with your bare hands!

Immediately after purchasing my 2010, I opened the hood to admire my car and found a mouse sitting on the battery blanket. Our eyes met and before I could react, he scurried off. I drove around like a mad-man to encourage the mouse to leave and parked the car. An hour later I openeded the hood again, AND HE WAS IN the EXACT SAME SPOT AGAIN! Well this time I was ready (mentally). I hammer fisted his little body flat with my bare hand! I think I released a lot of pent up aggresion that moment. I never thought I'd kill for my Jetta. I also put Decon out in the garage, because I've had mice cause extensive damage to wiring in the past.

Osage Orange

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta *sold*
lol

petger said:
Immediately after purchasing my 2010, I opened the hood to admire my car and found a mouse sitting on the battery blanket. Our eyes met and before I could react, he scurried off. I drove around like a mad-man to encourage the mouse to leave and parked the car. An hour later I openeded the hood again, AND HE WAS IN the EXACT SAME SPOT AGAIN! Well this time I was ready (mentally). I hammer fisted his little body flat with my bare hand! I think I released a lot of pent up aggresion that moment. I never thought I'd kill for my Jetta. I also put Decon out in the garage, because I've had mice cause extensive damage to wiring in the past.
Ive even used a Red Ryder BB gun on the suckers when I had time on my hands. Ahhh mouse sniping:D

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Osage Orange said:
Big one, eliminate all food source availability to them. The further they have to travel to get food the more likely they are to stay in the other area;)
Well stated. Nesting birds are the same way. They love to hang around airplane hangars and decorate the 'big birds' below them.

I, of course, would never stash a pile of corn in an empty hanger at the opposite end of the taxiway from my hangar :rolleyes:

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Where to put a mouse trap in your engine compartment:

Put it on the oil fill cap to keep the mice from overfilling your oil or putting the wrong spec oil in...and put another one on the fuel filter cover so they don't put metal shavings in it as well.

Last edited:

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
rix337 said:

Put it on the oil fill cap to keep the mice from overfilling your oil or putting the wrong spec oil in...and put another one on the fuel filter cover so they don't put metal shavings in it as well.

Commercial Repeating Mouse Trap is the only way, wind it up and catch 20-50 before it needs to be dumped. Father retired to a hunting club where they raise pheasants, quail, and chuckers the bird feed really attacks field mice. One trap can easily catch 30 in day.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Caddy Shack em. Hide in the corner of your garage with night vision goggles and a pellet gun. Enough beer and you'll think you're on safari. I rented an old farm house that had mice. I kept a pellet gun by the kitchen table. One night at dinner a mouse stuck his head out of a floor cabinet door. Blew his head off and went right back to my meal. Freaked the wife out a little bit. :D She went and bought two cats....worked better and probably a better idea.

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
rix337 said:

No no no! That's for catching Mickey Mouses!

shocker

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I caught one on top of the engine and he almost flipped himself behind the engine. the hood is up on the jetta tonight. if they chew on my engine liner one more time I'm going to get those sticky traps and torture them for days

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
shocker said:
I caught one on top of the engine and he almost flipped himself behind the engine. the hood is up on the jetta tonight. if they chew on my engine liner one more time I'm going to get those sticky traps and torture them for days
With the hood up it's a clean kill shot..........I'm just sayin' :D

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Rod Bearing said:
If you're really into sadistic forms of mouse trapping, get a few glue traps and some 2 inch dia pvc pipe about 3 feet long. Mold the traps so they slide in the pipe, one after another till there are about 3 in there, then fill a pvc 2 inch cap with brown sugar, really pack it in there, then put the cap on the end closest to the glue trap. Lay it on the floor and wait about a week. It will be full of tennants sooner than you think. They'll crawl over their own dead and dying to get to the far end, where they'll be trapped and die. The fun is checking on it every couple days, where you'll hear them in there, trapped, and just screeching away. When it's full, cap the other end and discard. Repeat as needed.
Note To Self: Don't p|ss-off Rod.
Good timing on this... ignored assortment of acorn shells trickling out from under hood insulation and small hole above oil cap while doing TB. Heading to WalMart for torture traps.
Wish this thread never ends.:D