PhatBox

Bivi

Veteran Member
Just picked up my new TDI Variant last week. I love driving this car!!! To enhance my driving experiance I went and bought a Phatbox. Much to my disapointment it does not fit in the cd changer bay.

Any ideas?

Bivi

Veteran Member
tomo366….

Both literally and figuratively we are in the same boat. My TDI Wagon is northern green and I too can not figure out for the life of me the best way to install this thing. For the time being it is on the floor of the trunk being held in place by Velcro bottomed trunk braces ( I think they call them gorilla grips) I have spent the past couple of days looking for a right angle adapter 36m/f right angle adapter and can not for the love of god find one. Called the mfr’s of the phatbox (pb) and they informed me that the part was not available and in order to have it made up VW would have to commission them to make the part…. THANKS FOR THE HELP! At this point I figure there are two paths.

1) Try to shave some of the sound deadening padding that is right behind where the cable from the pb lives. This may give me another ½” -1” clearance… not great but every little bit helps
2) Make a cut out in the panel that covers the bay to allow for the pb to stick out.

Any way you look at it some body really dropped the ball. I cant’ believe they would have us pay 26,000 for a new car and almost right off the bat you have to start chopping up the car to make room for VW specific aftermarket parts.

If you have any other ideas please give a shout. I would love to know the best way to overcome this situation. If have an epiphany and get this thing installed cleanly I will post some pics

Good luck

TDI
01 Jetta TDI and 04 Passat TDI and 06 Liberty CRD
I got one. And it doesn't fit in the CD changer spot. What we need is a right angle connector on the changer and the Jetta mounting brackets. I am a EE type and have searched for the right angle connector. I have not found one as of yet, but I'm not giving up. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Plutogogo

I too have been looking for the right angle connector as well. I wrote to Phatnoise to inquire about specific name of the connector and where I can possible find one if they don't have one. they replied with "We are unable to provide any information on the PhatNoise cable. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I am going to try some local electronic parts supply house to see if can find one.

Anyone has any luck finding one?

Bivi

Veteran Member
Please let us know if you find anything. Mine is still sitting on the floor of the wagon. Makes you feel like your new car is not so shinny when you look in the back and see the thing sprawled out over the back of the car!

Very disapointed by VW on this one. But as usuall they really don't care. Took it back to the dealer and they basically said this is by design...

GOOD STUFF!

DasRaven

TDI
Passat, 2004, Silver
Phatnoise has recently released a procedure, template, and OEM bracketr to allow Passat owners to accurately cut their side panels to fit the Phatbox.

Oddly enough, my 04.5" Passat TDI fits my OEM Phatbox with at least .5" space between the door and the front edge of the DMS. I was about to cut when I just pushed the closed door and felt significant give before I hit the cartridge.

So I just spooled and tied the wires in the lower slot and closed the door. The box works fine and I can feel space between the back of the connector wire and the fender padding.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Thank you!!! Based on the new info I already have the PhatBox installed and didn't have to cut the door it is a close fit but there is room.
I used the side brackets off my CD changer

Bivi

Veteran Member
Phatnoise has recently released a procedure, template, and OEM bracketr to allow Passat owners to accurately cut their side panels to fit the Phatbox.

Oddly enough, my 04.5" Passat TDI fits my OEM Phatbox with at least .5" space between the door and the front edge of the DMS. I was about to cut when I just pushed the closed door and felt significant give before I hit the cartridge.

So I just spooled and tied the wires in the lower slot and closed the door. The box works fine and I can feel space between the back of the connector wire and the fender padding.
can you please send me the link to the phatnoise site that contains the new template. I could not find it

Bivi

Veteran Member
Thank you!!! Based on the new info I already have the PhatBox installed and didn't have to cut the door it is a close fit but there is room.
Wow good stuff. Strangly enough your wagon compartment looks different than mine. I will try to send some pics along to show you

dewats

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015 TDI SE DSG
Could someone post the info for the template/ instructions or email me. Mine is different as well.

jimoilrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI Variant Reflex Silver, 2005 Passat TDI Variant United Grey
Has anyone successfully installed the Phatbox in a Passat TDI Wagon? If so, can you please post how you did it. I bought one today after seeing that Tomo had installed his and thought the sound was awesome. Now, it looks like the installation in a wagon is totally different. Thanks.

Bivi

Veteran Member
I picked up the cd changer brackets and am trying to work throught the installation. My concern is that the phat box sticks out more in real life than it does in the pic they show of pb in a variant. This is yet another one to work out....

jimoilrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI Variant Reflex Silver, 2005 Passat TDI Variant United Grey
There is no way to get the PB to fit in the CD player slot of a Variant without cutting a hole in the cover and using the kit in the updated instructions in Tom's reply. Is anyone having problems with the software that PB provides?

Bivi

Veteran Member
There is no way to get the PB to fit in the CD player slot of a Variant without cutting a hole in the cover and using the kit in the updated instructions in Tom's reply. Is anyone having problems with the software that PB provides?
That is true but the cut out that install directions show is much to small to accomidate the pb when insalled in a variant. In fact it seems that you have to cut a hole large enough to accomidate the entire pb unit. Whereas in the instructions it seems that you only need to cut a hole large enough for the cartridge.

With respect to the software: have you tried to update to the latest firmware. I think it is 7.0. What kind of problems have you been having?

Plutogogo

dOk, after have the phatbox sit on the floor for more than two months, I decided to finish mount the Phatbox into the CD change slot. I bought 3M Mini D ribbon connector, use old computer serial port ribbon cable, and DB9 solder-on connector to make my new connectors.
I had to cut one of the plastic support bar on the rear of the CD changer housing to get the Phatbox to recess into the housing a little for the door clearance. I drilled new hole for the bracket as well.
I have attached the pictures.

New Mini D ribbon Connector

I used some hot glue to secured the ribbon on the box.

Front view with the cable routed to the front

I cut the cable comes with the Phatbox and put the new DB9 connector on it.

CD changer bracket modified to allows room for the connector.

Connected the DB9 connectors and installed the mounting bracket. I did have to drill new hole on the mounting plate.

Completed with door close.

Bivi

Veteran Member
THIS IS IT!!!!I have been waiting for someone to figure out how we can work around this crappy cable that does not fit.

I sent you a pm with questions.

NICE WORK

bisric

HI. Does anyone know how to make this cable or buy the parts? I just can't cut my Passat Wagon's door panel. I might be able to slide by in the sedan, but it is so visible in the wagon.

I was even thinking of an extension cable with the Mini D female/male ends just to get the bulky cable out of the way.

I would love to get this installed, and unfortunately VW does not make it easy.

Any thoughts as to where I can buy the parts or have a cable made????

Thanks!
Richard

'04 Passat GLS TDI
'91 MB 350SD
'78 MB 300SD
'97 Passat GLS TDI

gcarper

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Response from Phatnoise...still no 90 degree cable....you would thing someone in Customer Service would be enterprising enough to get a patent on the cable and make some that they could sell on the side! (I would)

Hello Greg,

Thank you for using the PhatNoise Car Audio System! Unfortunately, we do not have a 90-degree connector available for the PhatBox at this time.
If you would like a refund, you must return to the dealership from which you purchased the PhatBox.

Please let us know if we may answer any other questions you have.

Best regards,

PhatNoise Customer Support

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:bugzilla-daemon@bluenote.hq.phatnoise.com]
Posted At: Thursday, November 04, 2004 3:59 PM Posted To: Customer Service
Conversation: [Bug 6197] New: I would like to purchase a 90 degree cable for the phatbox
Subject: [Bug 6197] New: I would like to purchase a 90 degree cable for the phatbox

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
Thanks to Plutogogo (Chao) I made a ribbon cable assy as he pictured here, and it works great!

The 3M p/n for the mini D is 517-10126-6000EC from Mouser.com This mates perfectly with the unit end. The DB 9's are available locally in most places.

Tips I can offer:
Slice the insulation on the wire ends prior to pushing the wire(s) down into the terminal 'notch'(s) on the mini D

Draw accurate diagrams of the connectors, wire colors and locations and where they go, prior to beginning.

Double check when metering the terminals on the connectors for wire placement.

I have the DMS nearly half full and still working on it!

Good Luck and take care