PCV Alternative Survey

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
If you have modified your PCV system, what have you done and how's it working out?

(I'm trying the "elephant hose" method now.)

PS: I put some mesh on the end, is this necessary?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I have both of my TDI's PCV systems rerouted, that is until my RACOR CCV shows up. One thing that is worth mentioning when you do this you can smell the vented crankcase emmitions when at a standstill. So I will get these hooked back up as soon as the filtration systems show up.

I looked into the intake on my A3 TDI and noticed after cleaning the manifold that the soot is back, but only a light coating. The sludge appears to still be gone since there isn't any oil mist to mix with the soot. I feel the filter system is the best long term solution without having to vent the awful smelling crankcase gasses outside the engine.

DB

Sooty

Veteran Member
I use an Allard oil separator, which separates the air from the oil, the oil is drained back to the sump and the air is then passed to the outside air via a K&N filter.

Adam

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI (Wagon)
I use to use a catch can that I built from a water bottle, but it ended up with a lot of water in it. I had it mounted behind the master cylinder, and while accelerating up hills I would get smoke in my car. So I re-routed my elephant tube to come out under my car and eliminated the catch can. Works great, except for the oil on the ground. I am looking into a catch can, but I am happy for now.

Adam

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
I am waiting for a review of the Racor unit. It sounds like the ideal solution. Completely road legal.
Should work well because it is designed for the larger commercial diesel engines.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
No I didn't put a filter on the end of the hose. The PCV valve and the Postive pressure of the crankcase will prevent anything from being sucked into the engine.

Some day soon I'll get my Racor filter in and then I won't have to worry about a thing.

DB

M

mickey

5 feet of heater hose and a greasy stain on the bottom engine cover. No filters or anything like that.

-mickey

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
I have the traditional "elephant hose" PCV Bypass that is routed all the way to the rear of the vehicle, with an inexpensive breather filter mounted on the end. Works great!

------------------
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed: Silver / Gray
Tuned for MPG

valois

Banned
I used a PCV breather assembly from PepBoys, it's square with a 90 degree inlet which I attached with a small length of 3/4 heater hose to the PCV outlet. Interior of the breather has a small gauze filter with a plastic baffle that protrudes half way into the outlet. I am hoping that this functions as a collector for the oil and by placing the breather at a slight angle will allow the accumalated oil to seep back into the PCV and therefore into the valve cover. On the outlet side I connected 4' of 3/4 heater hose to below the engine for vapor release. Haven't seen any oil drips yet.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Racor CCV Crankcase Ventilation Filter - I'll be installing it this Saturday. I'll post pics Monday after it is all done. My car has 14K miles on it. I wonder how much sludge is in there. Guess I'll find out this weekend.

Rich

Dr.Dodge

You'll have to excuse this reply, but there must be a better way. Wouldn't it just be a lot simpler to reroute the pcv hose to a location in the intake passage after the intercooler?

Just put in my order today for my NB TDI. Finally have grown bored of my VNT'd slant six Dodge Mirada.

Hey Skypup: look out!! There's a new crezzy man out there!
lol