Passat wimpy power

desilveira

TDI
2012 Toureg TDI
I recently purchased a 2015 Passat SEL TDI and it really lacks torque and power. I drove three other 2015 Passat’s before purchasing this one and all felt the same way. I also have a 2012 Passat SEL TDI and it would blow the 2015 away with its torque and power. Both have had the vw emissions fix. Did something change between 2012 and 2015? If anybody knows please let me know, thanks.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
The TQ and HP numbers between the 2012-13 and 2015 are similar,l in fact the 2015 has a higher HP rating. The 2015 has a different engine, but the performance should be similar. Something is wrong if a 2015 does not have the pep and power of your 2012. Start with the basics, and see if any codes show up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
DSG? i find the DSG tuning of the fix doesn't allow the "down low torque" to shine, it always is happy to grab a gear and get the RPMS up closer to 2K.

More RPMS, less heat, less NOx simple science.

gringojosh

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I can't get much out of my 2013 Passat TDI above third gear. To pass another car I basically need to write a letter to the engine, send it priority mail, wait 2 days for a response and then maybe something happens.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
^ something is wrong. My '13 accelerates strongly when you give it throttle and pulls hard in 4th, 5th and 6th. (mine is DSG and the dieselgate software fix did not result in any perceptible change in the driving experience, other than less MPGs now.)

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I use sport mode on mine if i need a bit more power :) ie you’re stuck behind slow cars and the other lane is 20 mph faster, shift into sport and away we go

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
^ this is a fine suggestion for those willing to spend $$ to get more power and TQ than in stock form. But for gringojosh and other that complain that their car is a dog, my advice is they should first get their car running at stock level of performance and then see if spending the $$ is worth it. I, for one, find stock performance to be great and find absolutely no need for more. My car just flies effortlessly over steep grades at half throttle or less. If their car is a dog now, a tune and deletion may possibly not fix the current problems.

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
I am a professional mechanic for the last 34 years, I fix 737's for a living, my suggestion does indeed produce more power, but my Blackstone labs reports tells me that 15-20k mile oil changes are possible with a deleted/tuned TDI Passat using Rotella 5w40, also I stop every 700 miles for diesel, you can suffer with with low performance, low fuel milage, and increased maintenance costs keeping it stock, or delete it, tune it, and gain increased performance, increased milage, with reduced maintenance cost, its your money.

shuck

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I can echo the OP's thoughts. I have a 2015 that I bought "new" after selling back my 2014. My 2014 had significantly more usable torque. The new engine in the 2015 is tweaked to give a better peak HP number on paper, and when it winds up, it does have more HP than the 2012-2014. However, for daily driving, I much preferred the 2014 and earlier motor.