Passat TDI Cop Car

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Readers here will be red with scorn, too, to hear how many 110hp TDI Passats are used in Europe for, of all things, taxicabs and public service vehicles!

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
That's odd, why would a public service spend the extra money on the 110bhp version over the 90bhp?
BTW I also saw a Golf cabrio with a TDI badge on the back, but didn't get a photo.

------------------
1996 Passat Tdi estate (wagon (variant))
See my Peugeot / Passat site

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
Christi, here in the states, the American automakers make police versions of standard cars that are called "police specials" which have higher horsepower engines, and I imagine better cooling systems and heavy duty transmissions.

Ric Woodruff
Ein Sehr Gut Biermeister

[This message has been edited by Ric Woodruff (edited December 15, 1999).]

FrankS

Yes, I've learnt that from the Blues Brothers.

Frank

[This message has been edited by FrankS (edited December 19, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by FrankS (edited December 19, 1999).]

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ric Woodruff:
Christi, here in the states, the American automakers make police versions of standard cars that are called "police specials" which have higher horsepower engines, and I imagine better cooling systems and heavy duty transmissions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the UK there are two main types of car used by the police:-

1. The traffic police pursuit cars.

These cars have uprated mechanical and electrical parts, with the most powerful engines, and are heavily maintained to provide safety in high speed chases etc.

These are used by the traffic police.

2. The utility cars, or "Panda" cars as we call them in the UK.

These are nothing more than an ordinary sedan (often an economy model, or even a diesel). These are used by the ordinary policeman to get from one place to another. In an emergency they will use the lights and sirens, and drive fast, but the cars are not specifically built for high speed use. The most serious mod is probably a hose-out, vomit proof plastic interior.

I'm sure that the same is true for police forces in other European countries. I would imagine that the Passat in the picture would definitely be in class "2", and therefore an ordinary 90bhp.

------------------
1996 Passat Tdi estate (wagon (variant))
See my Peugeot / Passat site