Passat 80l fuel tank?

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
I am after more range on my Skoda Superb (think long wheelbase FWD VW Passat)

Do you know if 80l fuel tank that is found on some B5.5 Passats fits B5 Passats (of which Superb is a derivative), and is it for 4 wheel drive only or for FWD as well? I had an impression at least during 2 years Passats here in UK were sold with bigger fuel tanks.

P.S. Autobahn, 200km/h, full tank is ~3.5hrs now. 2.5TDI V6

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I'm not sure on the B5 and B5.5 Passats but I seem to recall that on the B4 platform that the Variant (wagon) had a larger tank than the sedan. I could be wrong though.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
The W8 has the larger tank. It's actually a second tank, not just a larger one, and it's not a straightforward swap. There are some threads on here about it, but I don't believe anybody has actually done it, mostly because of packaging issues (i.e. I think it will only fit into a 4-mo car). Not only do you have to add the second expansion tank, you also need to replace the "standard" tank with the W8 version that has the plumbing to accept the extra tank.

A major project, for sure.

digifant_gli

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
I know that the B4 Passat tanks were interchangeable from Sedan to Wagon....several people on VWVortex have claimed to have done it, and I know some individuals personally who were able to do it. With enough time and money, anything can be acomplished.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
digifant_gli said:
I know that the B4 Passat tanks were interchangeable from Sedan to Wagon....several people on VWVortex have claimed to have done it, and I know some individuals personally who were able to do it. With enough time and money, anything can be acomplished.
Not so on the TDI model. There's another thread in the B4 section that explicitly states a B4 TDI wagon tank will NOT fit a B4 TDI sedan...