Pano Roof Frame Leak

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V w/AFN swap, 2011 JSW with a leaking pano
Posted earlier about a leak in my 2011 JSW. The car went in to the dealer today because of some water dripping from the passenger side visor. I was sure it was the drain connection that so many people have complained about.
The dealer found (at least what he's telling me) is there is a leak in the skylight frame and it all needs to be replaced.
Has anyone experienced this? I've tried a search with not many results.
The car has an extended warranty through Natiional Warrany Corporation, which I had transferred from the previous owner, but according to the dealer this repair isn't covered. I was hoping it would be considered mechanical, I'll be calling again to argue.
Since I have not seen much regarding a leaking skylight frame on here, I just wanted to cover my bases and see if the dealer is just yanking my chain.
thanks again

nrp

TDI
sportwagen
If it were me, I would want to personally see exactly where its leaking from before I believed it was actually from the frame and not the drain tubes. I wouldnt be surprised if the dealer just looked at it threw full frame replacement as the remedy. It's hard to believe that its leaking in a way that requires a full replacement as opposed to caulking or patching the leak. Who knows, maybe they are spot on but I'm just a little skeptical.

I had a fedelity warranty transferred from the previous owner and it definitely stated trim and leaks as an item not covered, amongst MANY other broad and generic items that can be twisted in anyway to help them get out of a repair. I cant complain too much, it was transferred to me for free and I got a wheel bearing and 3 A/C repairs out of it.

Last edited:

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V w/AFN swap, 2011 JSW with a leaking pano
the dealer didn't charge me for the diagnosis which was a surprise. But did quote me $2500 to replace the frame. I'm extremely skeptical as well when it comes to the dealer. He told me this was only the 2nd car he's seen with a leaking pano skylight...yeah right.
I'm going to have a private company that fixed my B4 windshield leak take a look at it after the holidays.
One thing I've noticed is that it seems to leak more when the car is being driven in the rain, compared to when it's parked in the rain. Is the wind forcing the water between something? Water then drips out the passenger side light behind the visor.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Find a guru I had to replace my frame on my pano, and it was about half of that IIRC, mine was bent or out of alignment , good luck