P2008 P2015 intake manifold issues!

LindseyNicole

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I just bought my first TDI (2012 Jetta) 3 months ago. Car started throwing codes about a month into driving it. 133,000 miles, recall expired. First code was the infamous P2015. Someone had previously installed the repair bracket. Next 2 codes are DPF related, P240f & P2002. I cleared the CEL light and drove 25 miles at 2,000 rpm for an attempted regen, P2002 code still there. I’m going to do a delete as soon as I fix the intake codes.

Is it bad to drive the car with the intake issue? P2008: open electrical circuit sensor bank 1. P2015: intake manifold flap position sensor. I’m guessing it’s the runner valve flaps, and which would explain the noise coming from the engine. Performance has decreased upon acceleration and fuel consumption has gone down. It kind of jolts a tiny bit when I stop too. I scheduled an appointment for a diagnostic, but that isn’t for another 12 days or so.

I don’t know much about these engines. I’m learning along the way. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Is your exhaust pipe clean or sooty black? If you search on this site you will find these codes mean your dpf has probably cracked the ceramic substrate and is letting soot by, clogging the EGR valve and filter (IIRC). This is for the P2002 and P240f codes.

Are you sure your car is out of the court ordered Extended Emissions Warranty? It had several conditions to meet.

Last edited:

LindseyNicole

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Is your exhaust pipe clean or sooty black? If you search on this site you will find these codes mean your dpf has probably cracked the ceramic substrate and is letting soot by, clogging the EGR valve and filter (IIRC). This is for the P2002 and P240f codes.

Are you sure your car is out of the court ordered Extended Emissions Warranty? It had several conditions to meet.
Yeah, It’s definitely got a cracked dpf. I’m going to do a delete and stage 2 malone tune asap. unfortunately the extended warranty expired.

I’m now guessing, after checking ojt the forums, that I’ll have to get a new intake manifold, which I can’t do until mid-late August. I would do it myself, but it’s hooked up to the fuel-line. Hopefully I’ll be good to drive around with a bad manifold 😐. The repair bracket thats installed doesn’t fit snugly. I suppose I’ll get another one before I replace the whole part. Still gotta drive it broken till next semester.

Do you know a way to find people who live nearby that I could meet? I see people with modified VW’s around all the time, I just have no way to meet them.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
this is all we have. Might help yo0u might not.

dgthomas

TDI
2011 VW SportWagen TDI
I Installed this today and cleared the code and it is gone... People say it works... Drove it 30 miles and still no CEL... Google this and there are youtube videos. I do recommend getting some Red lock tight and buying a longer screw.. there was a little play with the bolt.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
But you are willing to buy a cheap knock off of someone elses design and efforts and screw them out of what should be theirs? That is the problem with the world now days. I can do all of the work inventing and designing and making the part but if someone else steals my design and makes cheap copies of it and starts selling them, I just don't even count anymore. Not me personally but any inventor/manufacturer with a design. Pretty low and I hope it happens to you some day and might make you rethink your position on buying pirated items. I guess you steal software too and others music and video because you also don't want to pay for that either. No one likes paying but it is the thing to do. You could always make your own, nothing wrong with that. Not like the cost is exorbitantly high or anything.

dgthomas

TDI
2011 VW SportWagen TDI
But you are willing to buy a cheap knock off of someone elses design and efforts and screw them out of what should be theirs? That is the problem with the world now days. I can do all of the work inventing and designing and making the part but if someone else steals my design and makes cheap copies of it and starts selling them, I just don't even count anymore. Not me personally but any inventor/manufacturer with a design. Pretty low and I hope it happens to you some day and might make you rethink your position on buying pirated items. I guess you steal software too and others music and video because you also don't want to pay for that either. No one likes paying but it is the thing to do. You could always make your own, nothing wrong with that. Not like the cost is exorbitantly high or anything.
As an engineer, I could make this in a cad program and have had it machined. DieselGeeks should have gotten a patent, then they could take them to court. I have made a few things and have people copied it. Also before becoming an engineer I worked in IT... I didn't pirate stuff, Most software I needed I could expense to the company as a Microsoft Engineer for education purposes. So before you start assuming stuff about another person, remember that assumptions just make an A$$ out of you and me. So, Lightflyer1, go fly a kite!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Buying a TDI, B Uying cheap parts, not willing to pay for quality... well you end up paying either way in the end with your time or poor quality purchase it twice kind of thing.

JaeTee

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagon
Hello... I'm new here... doing research for my 2013 TDI Sportwagon and experiencing lingering emissions/EGR related codes and found my way here.

I have the dieselgeeks part installed for P2015 issue... And I drove the car with the P2015 code several times (and probably much longer than I should have) because the part worked itself loose from engine vibrations twice. First time I installed the part, I didn't use threadlock, so I can understand why it worked itself loose (DUH!!!). Installed the part again with threadlock and it came loose again. So, the third time under the hood for this I ended up finding a meaty section of that flapper part where the bracket touches, and drilled a hole through both the DG part and the engine part where it anchors, then used a small machine screw to make the connection solid/permanent so it doesn't happen again. Great peace of mind, and that fault has not returned since.

So, if you have that part in the car and the 2015 comes back, I would advise to double check the install of that bracket. These engines shake A LOT and I think that valve is under quite a bit of pressure/force and it's very possible that your repair part may have shifted. And I was not impressed with the aluminum bracket that holds the two toghether... IMHO it bends too easily and that should be stainless, not aluminum.

In my case, I think driving too long with the P2015 caused somewhat of a cascade of emissions related issues that I'm now still chasing down. First, the DEF particulate light came on, then other check engine codes (P0401, P2002, P204f, and P2457). DPF light would not stay clear after a regen until P2015 was completely solved.

Car is running with great power, getting good MPGs, and no black smoke... but I know my CEL will likely come on again soon for a few, if not all four of those codes. My research prompted me to discover that my heater core is clearly blocked as I'm only getting luke warm air from there (lucky I'm in Florida). I mention this because research is telling me that could be causing my EGR system to be throwing codes due to inefficient heat exchange that should be taking place between those systems, but it's not...

Still much to learn, but it looks like I will be flushing the heater core very soon to see if I can make those codes disappear for longer than a day or two at a time. It's almost crazy to me that flushing my heater core might actually help solve my diesel emissions system issues.

LindseyNicole

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I am STILL driving around with these issues. I was going to do a delete, but other stuff happened & nursing school is intensive. I am also in Florida. Where abouts are you (?), cause I sure could use some help/insight with my TDI. She's my baby and I want to keep her running for as long as she can! Thanks for the info.

JaeTee

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagon
I'm in Tarpon Springs. These diesel emissions systems are super delicate. You still have P2015 code and the others?

Here is one of several available videos for that DieselGeek parts install...

If it was put in, but the code persists, then I'd bet it has slipped loose and become ineffective. That part is under much more pressure than I thought, for sure... If you, or someone in your circle is comfortable tinkering with things like this, I'd recommend taking a close look to make sure that part is still in the right place and re-install it. IMHO, none of the other codes will every really go away until that pesky P2015 is solved first.

On a side note, Just out of curiosity, have you tried using your heater lately? Next time you drive and engine temp is up to operating temperature, can you check?

In our case, once I reseeded that DieselGeek part on the manifold and eliminated what was causing the P2015 code. (a month ago)... I went for a sustained 1 hour drive up and down the Veterans expressway keeping RPMs over 2500 until the DPF light went off on the dash (that allows the DPF system to get hot enough to force DPF regen and burn off excess soot). The DPF light came on again once after that, so I put diesel cleaner/octane boost additive from auto parts store into the car and did another long drive to force regen. The DPF light hasn't come on again since then, and after a few tanks of gas and a bit more additive with each tank of gas, I've had to reset the codes a few times, but they are now staying off. The codes I was getting in various combinations were P2002, P0401, P204f, and P2BA6, which are all emission related. I last reset the codes four days ago and have been driving the car all week with no CEL.

Good luck.

Last edited:

LindseyNicole

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I do still have the P2015 and other codes. I'm going to order another DieselGeek part and install it. The DPF light cuts on and off, so it could be, as you mentioned, not a good fitting part. I clear the CEL every time I drive it; from my understanding, the DSG fluid cannot circulate with it turned on. I did turn the heater on after the engine was up to temp and found no issues there. Hopefully, the new part will fix the code and I can start the regen cycle; which I have been doing intermittently. Does a regen cycle still occur with the p2015 code? I was able to take the EGR out and give it a good clean. Surprisingly, there wasn't too much soot buildup. MPG (highest 38 highway, 30 City) is doing relatively well, it actually went up after I drove to South GA and back to Bradenton.

JaeTee

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagon
I would put eyes on the DieselGeek part that is supposedly already in the car before ordering another. Mine did not fail, it just came loose. And there is no real damage that can happen to the part, it just comes loose.

LindseyNicole

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Before I had time to properly check the bracket, the alternator stopped supplying power to the battery. I took the serpentine belt off and checked the alternator clutch pulley; it was moving the alternator fan in both directions. I think I'm going to sell it once I fix it. Do these cars always have stuff going on with them? Seems like a never-ending trail of small, yet time-consuming problems.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
I Installed this today and cleared the code and it is gone... People say it works... Drove it 30 miles and still no CEL... Google this and there are youtube videos. I do recommend getting some Red lock tight and buying a longer screw.. there was a little play with the bolt.

+1 for that amazon thing, have had it in my car for 120k+ miles now and no issues

I am aware its a knockoff of another product... but when the original is $70+ for a tiny piece of alu and a bolt thats a bit excessive.

EDIT: FWIW, i did NOT have to remove the manifold or ANYTHING to install the part. Just slide it in and bolt it up. Took me less than 10min

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
I can understand this argument for things that actually take some engineering work. But come on, this is a tiny piece of alu that anyone with half decent CAD skills can mock up in 20min. If they wanted $40 for it I would have bought theirs over the china one, $70 is just plain excessive.

ChevAL35315

TDI
Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI - BXE-Engine
hello all , in 2018 i have had a WV polo TDI with ½inch black stuf in intake manifold i take it off and bath it in Diesel for 1 hour and take my
weed burner and burn all the black stuf dry using pressure air too , and when it is dry you can use press air to make it clean ,
be aware the ALU is getting HOT, and than let it cool off than you can mount a clean manifold, thats what i dide