P0864 TCM Communication Circuit Range/Performance

teddibear

TDI
Volkswagen golf tdi 1.9L
So I bought a 2003 volkswagen golf GLS TDI 1.9L . Had mechanic look over it and said it looked good so I had a oil change which at that time the did the replacement of the oil filter and put a new fuel pump replacement. The head gasket cover was leaking so had that fixed everything seemed fine then I had to go get the dreadful interlock device installed and after I got home the engine light came on an it popped up two codes glow plug cylinder 4 is not working and the tcm code so I have been trying to figure out a good diagram of the engine so I can find where this tcm is located so I can check the wires around the tcm. It's weird cause the car starts up good and an when taking it on the freeway seems to shift good so I'm not sure if this can be from the dang interlock or if this is something that is going to start making my gear slip. Any help would be great full. I'm also looking for a owner manual for this type of car but not sure where to find the right one

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
This website is full of answers if you know how to search.
I recommend poking around the stickies. You'll find things like this search engine,
full of threads on every topic:
Here is one of those threads:
I would check ebay for an owner's manual.
The head gasket cover was leaking
Pretty sure you meant "valve cover". How handy are you with automotive work?
An oil filter/oil change/fuel filter change should only cost you an hour of time and maybe 50 bucks.
I don't want to hear what you paid your mechanic to do that stuff!
These cars are in the "hobbyist" class. Very few people know how to work on them w/o causing more problems.
But if you want the best info about your car, this is the website with that info!

teddibear

TDI
Volkswagen golf tdi 1.9L
Yea overall I paid like 700 for a oil change, valve cover since the old one was leaking an oil filter and fuel filter and a leak in the vacuum pump or something like that... I'm not very handy with automotive work but actually willing to learn cause I know it would save me alot of money to learn. The obd2 scanner is just showing a code for a glowpulg open so the mechanic said it would only be 306 to replace all 4 so I will probably have that done Tuesday. My concern was the code for the TCM range performance but that code hasn't came back and I have drove the car on the freeway for about 40min and some around town driving. But that is my fear of trying to fix anything my self I don't want to mess anything up.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
But that is my fear of trying to fix anything my self I don't want to mess anything up.
Knowledge defeats fear.
That's what this site is for. Read, and read until you understand a procedure.
Changing out the glow plugs costs, again, about an hour of your time and 50 bucks (less if you shop around).
Investing in tools is just that - an investment. You could spend $200 on VCDS and it would tell you which glow plug was pooping out.
Boom. It just paid for itself!
Also, who cares if one glow plug is dead? In these temps, your engine will start and run fine on 3. It won't hurt a thing to leave it be until you learn the job yourself.