P026A - not sure what to do next

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Just threw a P026A code driving home. Never had this code before. Always drove in the North East with ID winter covers on. It's been very cold the last few weeks with an odd warm (30-38 degree) day here or there, but today was no different than the last 4 weeks have been. I've only once had a hard start (intercooling icing likely) issue a couple years ago, i might have been the first year i had the car and didnt have winter covers but im not positive. The only other odd issue ive had lately is that on super cold mornings (-5 to +5) , my heat takes forever to start working, i think this is something with the heat system (flaps, thermostats etc..) and probably not related but just an FYI. In the fall I flushed and filled my coolant.

Any ideas on what to do next? I am in a temporary winter rental and dont have access to my tools etc.. so i cant easily remove the bottom cover to get at the intercooling piping etc...

Thanks in advance.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Just threw a P026A code driving home. Never had this code before. Always drove in the North East with ID winter covers on. It's been very cold the last few weeks with an odd warm (30-38 degree) day here or there, but today was no different than the last 4 weeks have been. I've only once had a hard start (intercooling icing likely) issue a couple years ago, i might have been the first year i had the car and didnt have winter covers but im not positive. The only other odd issue ive had lately is that on super cold mornings (-5 to +5) , my heat takes forever to start working, i think this is something with the heat system (flaps, thermostats etc..) and probably not related but just an FYI. In the fall I flushed and filled my coolant.

Any ideas on what to do next? I am in a temporary winter rental and dont have access to my tools etc.. so i cant easily remove the bottom cover to get at the intercooling piping etc...

Thanks in advance.
Do you have your lower grill blocked? It might me time to clean your ic

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
All it is is stating your ic efficency is below min threshold. It's because it warmed up and your grill is covered. I get the same code. Nothing to worry about.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
All it is is stating your ic efficency is below min threshold. It's because it warmed up and your grill is covered. I get the same code. Nothing to worry about.
Just seemed odd it would do it today. I've been driving similar amounts in the same external temps for the last few weeks.

Should I just clear it and go on about my business?

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Do you have your lower grill blocked? It might me time to clean your ic
Yea the lower and upper are both covered with the Idparts winter covers. When you say clean the IC, what does that entail and can I do it without all my tools?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yea the lower and upper are both covered with the Idparts winter covers. When you say clean the IC, what does that entail and can I do it without all my tools?
If you sat and idled for an extended period it causes the ic to heatsoak. When you drive there's no air to cool it. So it throws a code.
Yeah just clear it and keep going. I just restart mine to get rid of limp mode.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
If you sat and idled for an extended period it causes the ic to heatsoak. When you drive there's no air to cool it. So it throws a code.
Yeah just clear it and keep going. I just restart mine to get rid of limp mode.
Ok thanks. Can I put the bottom cover back on after a while? I thought the bottom one was more critical to prevent IC issues. Also I didn't idle for really any period of time today. The code came on in the middle of a 15mile highway drive after I was driving around most of the day.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Ok thanks. Can I put the bottom cover back on after a while? I thought the bottom one was more critical to prevent IC issues. Also I didn't idle for really any period of time today. The code came on in the middle of a 15mile highway drive after I was driving around most of the day.
Probably just got hot enough. If it comes on in the summer when it's not covered then I'd worry.
The ECU measures ambiant temp and iat. Has a set threshold. So with it 30f outside. Your iat should be 70 ish. If it gets warm again just pull the upper grill blocker.

it is the bottom one that helps with ic icing. With the overactive EGR. The moisture drops out of the hot air. If you drilled a drain hole in your ic you wouldn't have to worry about condensation.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I almost never ran the upper covers. I used the lower cover up to about 65 degrees in the spring before I took it off and never had any codes or coolant temperature issues.