P0118 ECS

TDI
2006 VW Beetle TDI
I have a 2006 VW Beetle TDI. I can’t find any videos online showing how to change the sensor on a diesel..found a few for gas. Is it similar to a diesel? Is this something I can do by myself?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Hello!
Is your car having any of the symptoms listed here?
ECS is usually referred here to as CTS coolant temp sensor.
It's pretty easy to change out. I can't vouch for everything in this video, but at least it'll show you were it's located.
It's not a Beetle, but I think it's your same engine.
I always use a funnel attached to a tube going under the car to a jug to catch the ~1/2 gallon of coolant that will come out.
That way you can take your time and make sure the new o-ring seats well. Do use a new o-ring.
Make sure the old o-ring comes out before placing the new sensor and o-ring in.
It's doable, but a bit messy!

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
And here's a big thread on the subject with a lot of good info:

TDI
2006 VW Beetle TDI
I’ve convinced myself I can do this by myself🤦🏻‍♀️. The problem is that my car doesn’t seem to look like any videos that I fine. This the only thing that I find but it in front the engine not the back.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Well, it's not towards the front (bumper area), it's on the driver's side of the engine closer to the firewall.
It can be pretty hard to see unless you remove the air filter box, and get your head down in there. A flashlight helps too.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The coolant temp sensor is a little dug in there on the BEW NB with a DSG. It isn't as easy to access as some other cars.

After you get the engine top cover off, you'll need to completely remove the air cleaner assembly.

Then locate the flange on the end of the cylinder head, and the sensor is in that on the back side, down low, held in with a little clip. Often it is easier to remove the clip and pull the sensor out while still plugged in, then unplug it once it is out. The connector release must be tricky, because people break them a lot it seems. If you have a small screwdriver, you can more easily get it released once the sensor is loose. Be sure to get the old o-ring out, too, as it is usually stuck in the flange.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Here is maybe a helpful thread:

BEW Temperature sensor(G62) for ECU/Dash replacement - how to | TDIClub Forums

Note: your car will look a little different, as you will not have those three coolant heaters sticking out like that, that is only for manual transmission cars. Your end flange might also be black plastic. There will be another hose in the way, too, as that is where the transmission fluid cooler is located.