P0118 Coolant Sensor....Ongoing Issue

mattduvall

TDI
2002 Golf 1.9 TDI
A few weeks back I got P0118 error on my 2002 Golf tdi. I did some research and found most user stats its the coolant sensor...and to get the green one since the black one has intermittent issues. I went down to autozone and purchased for $6.99. I also bought G12 coolant from tdiparts. Once I got the coolant in I replaced the part and refilled my coolant with 50/50.
Everything seemed ok, check engine light disappeared, until today, it has returned and took to autozone to recheck the code and sure enough its PO118.

After talking to friend of mine who is mechanically inclined he thought from the description of the code that the thermostat might be stuck open. Does anyone have any ideas or help. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Matt

no_rs

TDI
02 Jet, 03 Jet wagon
P0118

I had the same deal last week. 'Check engine light' to - from work. (1st time ever, code = P0118). Did not see the 'CEL' during the next day's commute (95 mi rt), and got a chance to zero the code this weekend.
So far it has not re-appeared.
I'm about to take the car on a driving vacation and wonder if I should be concerned?

Thanks
Bill K

rlandrum

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
no_rs said:
I had the same deal last week. 'Check engine light' to - from work. (1st time ever, code = P0118). Did not see the 'CEL' during the next day's commute (95 mi rt), and got a chance to zero the code this weekend.
So far it has not re-appeared.
I'm about to take the car on a driving vacation and wonder if I should be concerned?

Thanks
Bill K
No... I've put 10000 miles on my car with P0118 showing. It's actually just a sensor failure. When it's cleared, it'll go about 2 days before it shows up again.

I still haven't fixed mine.

no_rs

TDI
02 Jet, 03 Jet wagon
thanks for the reply
I bought a green on from TDI Parts for $16.60 inc shipping.
now if I could just get it in without losing too much of that liquid gold vw calls antifreeze...