over center spring

broadspring

TDI
2012 Vw passat tdi
Searched forums and repaired clutch white plastic pedal clip, great information on how to accomplish. Problem I am having is putting over center spring on clutch pedal back in, manual calls for special tool, and some posts say do not need spring at all. All info would be helpful! thanks!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
If the spring is already out and extended, you may want to go with the "don't need it" opinion as it will be nearly impossible to install now.

If you can compress the spring, keep it compressed, and slip it back into position before releasing it, you'll be happier with the pedal feel.

The spring helps in reducing the leg pressure needed to hold the pedal down and the clutch disengaged.

chuckbrush

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 96 Deep Red
Over Center Spring

I'm looking at a thing I made, I have a photo of it but I don't know how to put a photo in this forum. Anyway, this simple tool holds the spring compressed while you put it in. Send me an email, chuckbrush@aol.com, and I will send you the photo with some measurments.

Chuck

broadspring

TDI
2012 Vw passat tdi
thanks chuckbrush i actually was able to do most of work from your post on club,greatly appreciate. Did find tool for $40 from samsstagsales but hope to try your method.:)

bigblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta ALH, 2004 golf pd150
I am about transplant all 3 pedals from a B4 TDI onto a B4 GLX (auto) and want to know if there is any precaution I should take to keep this spring preloaded for the swap, or is it impossible without tools or not an issue?