OTR mileage and aero mods

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
I am pretty sure I have seen this guy's ideas posted here. My 2004 Cummins truck while not a brick, is close to it. It tends to get 18-20 mpg with a high of 23.4 on a 400 mile run 60 mph on I16. I16 is about as flat a highway as you could find, Macon to Savannah. I would like better mileage out of the truck but not wanting to spend money and the fact that I only drive the truck 5-6,000 miles a year, any aero mods would not be recouped quickly. Working on my Jetta which sees 33-35,000 miles a year has a bit better return.

http://www.dieselarmy.com/news/breaker-breaker-airflow-truck-company-pioneers-trucking-innovations/

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Well, good luck with that. First, take your Jetta, and make it look as much as possible like a Prius. Then do some mileage runs and let us know the results.

Cheers,

PH

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I have seen a few Dakotas and F series p/u that people have done some simple mods to improve mileage. Biggest was modified tonneau cover and full wheel covers on a lowered or 2wd ride height. But getting into get changes and O/D boxes, the payback period is too long.

Treat this as a hobby for your own enjoyment, because modifications ROI is not practical in your case.

Part way down the page on the right is Toyota p/u LINK showing what I am talking about. Post #32 here in this thread shows something more realistic. And at this LINK they show a pretty nice looking topper along with some decent explaination on helping the shape aerodynamicly.

Something I think is interesting but will have to wait until my "honey do" list gets shorter. ;)

Jason

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
The truck is for hay hauling, not tooling around. I got some hay the other night and my lie o meter mpg dropped and dropped as the last course of hay was all above the roof line.

Having owned the Jetta for 11 years, not likely I am going to do anything but drive a sane speed. Well it is due for a bunch of PM odds and ends for its 400,000 mile service but nothing cosmetic or aero.

Yes, most mods have a lousy ROI. Heck even pleasure mods have a lousy ROI so you might as well get them early and enjoy them a long time. Kind of like granite counter tops in the kitchen. Might as well install them and enjoy them instead of installing them in hopes of selling the house.