Opinions needed: fix or buyback Jetta 2014

KIMH

TDI
2014 Jetta
Hello, I hope I am not repeating someone elses question but my situation is this: I have a 2014 Value Jetta TDI with 72K miles on it. Yes I travel a lot. My car functions perfectly and get over 50mpg. SO...I have a loan on it with VW and the interest rate is 1.5% and I am into 2+ years of 6 paid on it. So at first I was going to do buyback with would net me after my loan is paid off around 5200 and some change. I would have to use some or all of that to start over with a new loan and I might not be able to get 1.5% special financing like I did before plus I would be starting over with a new loan at 5 or 6 years unless I want to plop all that money onto the new car which won't be a jetta diesel. We are thinking a gas jetta this time. But now I am thinking I should take the fix and keep the jetta which I love. Is anyone else considering interest rates when deciding what to do? Any input would be great!

KIMH

TDI
2014 Jetta
What about when it fails the emissions test here in Ohio? Don't I risk not being able to get plates?

KIMH

TDI
2014 Jetta
I would think eventually they will require the cars to be altered with proof of the fix or they will stop issuing the tags for it.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
You would think wrong. Please search; this has been discussed extensively.

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Hello, I hope I am not repeating someone elses question but my situation is this: I have a 2014 Value Jetta TDI with 72K miles on it. Yes I travel a lot. My car functions perfectly and get over 50mpg. SO...I have a loan on it with VW and the interest rate is 1.5% and I am into 2+ years of 6 paid on it. So at first I was going to do buyback with would net me after my loan is paid off around 5200 and some change. I would have to use some or all of that to start over with a new loan and I might not be able to get 1.5% special financing like I did before plus I would be starting over with a new loan at 5 or 6 years unless I want to plop all that money onto the new car which won't be a jetta diesel. We are thinking a gas jetta this time. But now I am thinking I should take the fix and keep the jetta which I love. Is anyone else considering interest rates when deciding what to do? Any input would be great!
Only you can decide what is best for you.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
This will answer your question.

Registration of 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles

The Beneficiary certifies, for the benefit of the parties to the Consent Decree (including the Settling Defendants) and the owners from time-to-time of 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles, that upon becoming a Beneficiary, the Beneficiary:

(a) Shall not deny registration to any Subject Vehicle based solely on: i. The presence of a defeat device or AECD covered by the resolution of claims in the Consent Decree; or ii. Emissions resulting from such a defeat device or AECD; or iii. The availability of an Approved Emissions Modification or the Buyback, Lease Termination, and Owner/Lessee Payment Program.

(b) Shall not deny registration to any Subject Vehicle that has received an Approved Emissions Modification based solely on: i. The fact that the vehicle received the Approved Emissions Modification; or ii. Emissions resulting from the modification (including but not limited to the anticipated emissions described in Appendix B to the Consent Decree); or iii. Other emissions-related vehicle characteristics that result from the modification; or iv. The availability of an Approved Emissions Modification or the Buyback, Lease Termination, and Owner/Lessee Payment Program.

(c) May identify 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles as having received, or not received, the Approved Emissions Modification on the basis of VIN-specific information provided to the Beneficiary by the Settling Defendants.

(d) Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Beneficiary may deny registration to any Subject Vehicle on the basis that the Subject Vehicle fails to meet EPA’s or the Beneficiary’s failure criteria for the onboard diagnostic (OBD) inspection; or on other grounds authorized or required under applicable federal regulations (including an approved State Implementation Plan) or under Section 209 or 177 of the Clean Air Act and not explicitly excluded in subparagraphs 9(a)-(b).

fucanay

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I have a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen with far less miles and we're selling it back. Granted it was in a major accident and the repair didn't make it like new. However, they are giving us more than we bought it for and got to drive it for a couple of years so I'm not sure the accident would have mattered regardless.

I think it comes down to how much they'll give you and if that amount can put you in a newer car with less miles and smaller payments. In my case it would for sure. For instance, I owe $10,100 on the TDI. After the buyback they will pay that off and give me roughly $19k. If I used that on a brand new Alltrack S, I would come in with a smaller loan than I started with, lower miles, 4motion, and Apple Car Play, just to name a few things.

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
Your car will start to have big money failures soon. Do the buyback and get a new car

Aaronstdi

TDI
2012 Golf tdi
Take the buyback, buy a 8K Jetta (4-5yrs old w/low miles), going forward put the car payment money into a car fund, Trade up in a few years. BOOM, you've just broken the lifetime cycle of car payments!!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Look at how much they will give you to put the fix on and how much time you could cut off your loan with that money.

(need to use a loan calculator or stop by your bank or credit union to get help. don't just divide the amount by your car payment.)

(you are putting on a lot of miles for a six year loan. might want to change the plan unless you want increasing car payments for the rest of your life)

Last edited: