Opinion on a potential purchase

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
previous: 1997 Jetta (green); 2000 Golf TDI (Silver)
Hey folks, I currently have an A3 (97 TDI, 220,000 KMs) and I'm considering getting a 2nd car. I'm looking at an A4 ('02) with 250,000 KMs on it, they're asking CAD $10,950. I just test drove it and it was smooth as cream up to 180 kph (er, "so I'm told").

I'm thinking "giddyap" but before I plunge, is there any thing that makes you say "huh? walk away clean."

Thanks for any insights or red flags.

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Good questions....

- I assume it's a GLS (sunroof, leather, a/c, pw/pl, heated seats...)
- 5 speed manual
- did not/don't have a VAG-COM

I peaked under the hood, everything looks either very clean or very well shampood.

I did notice the passenger side front bumper seamed a little loose from the frame, but I was told by the sales guy that such is an A4 commonality (is this true?)

Not a fan of the key fob (it wouldn't open the trunk).

One more curiosity - when started, there's a whining sound, perhaps loose belts...??

The clutch bites very early, very close to the floor. From a design point of view, the pedals are distinctly closer together (will take some getting used to, especially wearing boots in winter I'm guessing).

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
front bumper has probably been removed before. They are kinda of a pain to re-install and line up both mouting tabs per side.

Clutch biting that close. Indicates that an aftermarket clutch has been used. Or system needs bleed.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bleeding the brake/clutch system is very simple... even simpler if you have access to a power bleeder such as a Motive... There are GetTogethers around here almost once a month, and there's usually at least one of those in attendance...

Yuri.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
From the sounds of it, it sounds like you were or are shopping at "Perfect Auto". Though there is nothing in their current listing as low priced as yours. They always have VW TDi's for sale and cheap, but with unknown heritage.
Let the buyer beware and be aware!
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/listings.aspx?vlotid=220441&trader=1&CAT=1
Thanks for the link. I used to live in West Hill (now I'm at McCowan/Finch). What GTGs do you go to around here?