oops! I did it again - back in the TDI game

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
that's pretty thick - what was the end result?
it will surely leak - not enough meat to get enough clamp force.. a cut-off egr pipe flange with decent gauge sheetmetal/flashing will hold the pressure just fine, as long as the gasket seals enough tho

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
so @burpod and others, what do you recommend? whatever I do has to be invisible to California emissions inspection. I was considering 24ga copper, sounds like I need more?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
so @burpod and others, what do you recommend? whatever I do has to be invisible to California emissions inspection. I was considering 24ga copper, sounds like I need more?
well, if you leave the egr valve inside intact, you wouldn't need to do anything. i'm not sure what gauge i've used, it was some leftover flashing material, i think maybe 20 or 22ga, 24ga i believe would be too thin.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
The copper as a gasket of sorts might be fine, but I think csstevej meant the blockoff plate itself needs to be thicker than 1/8, and I would agree on that.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
basically I want to fab up a copper gasket that will also serve as a blockoff plate. reproduce the gasket with thicker material, but don't cut out the large hole. is my logic not sound?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
basically I want to fab up a copper gasket that will also serve as a blockoff plate. reproduce the gasket with thicker material, but don't cut out the large hole. is my logic not sound?
i'm not sure with the possible exhaust temps involved that you would want to use copper as as the blockoff "flashing" material? i don't really know my metallurgy that well, but i imagine you could potentially see 1300F and the copper might become rather weak at that temp, especially a thin 22ga piece

do you not have any bits of scrap sheet metal/flashing stuff around?

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I would think you'd need to sandwich it between the manifold and a piece of thicker steel plate.

I'm assuming we're talking about the exhaust manifold port now? The one on the EGR/ASV isn't really going to get hot. Unless you're leaving the hard pipes hooked up for that stock look, in which case I'd just use your copper blockoff piece in place of the original gasket.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I would think you'd need to sandwich it between the manifold and a piece of thicker steel plate.

I'm assuming we're talking about the exhaust manifold port now? The one on the EGR/ASV isn't really going to get hot. Unless you're leaving the hard pipes hooked up for that stock look, in which case I'd just use your copper blockoff piece in place of the original gasket.
exactly. the EGR is already disabled, I am just looking to clean up a lil airflow while I'm in there replacing the intake with a clean one. I'd run a race pipe if I could but I wouldn't pass the visual.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
exactly. the EGR is already disabled, I am just looking to clean up a lil airflow while I'm in there replacing the intake with a clean one. I'd run a race pipe if I could but I wouldn't pass the visual.
Ahh ok, should be good then.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
copper has a very high melting point - I am not worried about it at all. it's used often for exhaust gaskets.
yeah, and i was thinking of temps right in the center of the exhaust flow, but at the block-off, it's going to be significantly lower. totally fine as you said :)

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
About the only thing i liked about my old POS datsun was that i could block one side of the egr pipe with a nickel, and the other side with a penny. Every 2 years: remove the 6c, spend it all in one place, pass smog, reinstall new nickel and penny, never worry about clogging the egr valve again.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
how do you guys feel about this TB kit? It's expensive, but comprehensive.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Sent you a PM.