Older diesel?

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
I was just wondering, how much will an older diesel car set me back as far as cash? VW, old MB it doesn't matter to me. (VW preferably though, or for parts counter guy fun, even a Renault one!) I am wanting to know basically how much will an older one set me back? What about just the engine? Whole car? I'm wanting something cheap to just tool around in I guess. Nothing serious right now, just wondering about it is all. It doesn't matter what, 1.6L TD, 1.9L TD, MB diesel(s), Renault diesels (probably rarish) so long as its in a car.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
I think it depends on a lot of things. Could be anywhere from a couple hundred bucks up to several thousand. You could probably score a cheap, decent running VW or Mercedes if you search well enough and get lucky. With a vehicle of this age you also need to consider rust as a possible issue. There are a lot of fairly cheap VW's and MB's out there, but the majority are sorely lacking in maintenance, so it can be more of a pay less now and more later:) For a decent driver, I would think an early Rabbit or Jetta could be had for around $2000...

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
I was wanting something to actually (well more than likely) in the end jack the motor from and put in my other project car. I would probably tool around in it for a while, but it wouldn't last I think. (It calls to me I tell ya!) Surface rust isn't generally a big problem here in the south. A VW is more of what I'm leaning towards. I saw a video of a VW 1.6L TD powered early jeep that has given me the itch moreso than I have ever had it.