Oil sample Petcock Valve Instructions

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
So many question if there UOA sample was contaminated. For the price of one UOA you can be sure all your samples are accurate. Any good pipe fittings store can supply you will all you need to take fool proof oil samples.

PARTS LIST

1 Two way ball valve make it a 90* type not a 360* valve.
1 1/8" Tee fitting
2 1/8” nipples – 1 short to attach T fitting to oil filter housing, If you need clearance the second one can be longer if needed.
1 1/8' compression fitting in top of ball valve for copper tubing.
1 1/8” x 5” piece of copper tubing to shape as faucet. That might be the hard part if you have no tubing and do not want a whole roll you may be able to buy a small piece from a A/C or refrigeration repair shop.
1 Roll of Teflon tape – be careful do not get tape past the fitting. On new fittings wrap threads only twice.

Use brass or stainless do not use galvanized fittings. For around 15 USD you can sample your oil anytime and anywhere. When you need a sample just run 2 oz. through the valve which can be put back in the engine if your container is clean. This is a flush, then put your 3 or 4 oz of clean hot oil into your sample container.[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Very handy mod! I asked dieselgeek about something like this when the bypass filter went in my car. He gave me an extra fitting and tube to connect to the outlet of the bypass filter. I added a valve to the end of this so I can work it alone. Now I just disconnect the outlet and connect the other tube and drain it right into the sample bottle (Engine running, oil hot when drawing sample).

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Some may want to remove the compression fitting and copper tubing and plug the end. If more than one user has access to the car this may be wise. Showing people the engine or they check the oil and some one reaches down and opens the valve. My car is my car and no one touches it, so I do not plug mine.