Oil Pressure Light for a couple sec after starting?

mkosem

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi
I fired up my 01 TDI this morning after it had been sitting overnight. My thermometer read -10 when I was leaving the house, who knows how cold it was the previous night. I must say, it's the most dificult time I've ever had starting her up. It took probably 20 or 30 seconds of cranking to get her going, and once she did start the oil pressure light came on for about 2-3 seconds. I use Rotella T Synthetic oil and have never had this happen before. Should I be worried? My oil level was fine when I last checked it a week or two ago...but seeing that light on for the first time ever was a bit disheartening.

--Matt

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Matt,

Same thing happened with both of my TDI's this weekend, but all seems to be fine now.

paul

mkosem

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi
Whew, thank god! This ULSD seems to be crap for starting in the winter. I've NEVER had such a hard time starting this car, even on days colder than today.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
Same thing (oil light on temp) happens if you have to turn the key over dozens of times.
Found that one out after changing the fuel filter and waiting on changing the two thermo T orings. Poor priming when it got cold and no ammount of battery/jump would start it. Well actually about the 52nd try started it. So the oil light went on about three times in that span.

mkosem

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi
Well, hopefully it'll start warming up soon! I don't like seeing dummy lights on. Maybe I'll switch to one of those expensive 0w40s and get some PS White.

--Matt

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Rule of thumb is 20 below the lowest number so -10 is to be prepared for -30. Elf is selling the new 507, "-46 C" on special 8.73 a litre. With a pour point better than 506.01 by 10 degrees. If you can not heat your engine than I think it would be very wise to use the GRP IV/V oil. Unfortunate that only ELF has 507 available at this point. This oils will give you 15k of service. Amsoil has a more cost effective -50 F oil

Last edited:

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I really do not think it is the new diesel but the extra cold air we are having. It has not been this way for a few years. Ask the Truck drivers stuck along the road or in the truck stops. Just remmber to use extra additives when it get this cold and you should not have these problems.

mkosem

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi
I switched from BP to Sunoco fuel in the midst of the issues and I must say, my car starts at least 50% better on a below 0F day.

--Matt

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
mkosem said:
I fired up my 01 TDI this morning after it had been sitting overnight. My thermometer read -10 when I was leaving the house, who knows how cold it was the previous night. I must say, it's the most dificult time I've ever had starting her up. It took probably 20 or 30 seconds of cranking to get her going, and once she did start the oil pressure light came on for about 2-3 seconds. I use Rotella T Synthetic oil and have never had this happen before. Should I be worried? My oil level was fine when I last checked it a week or two ago...but seeing that light on for the first time ever was a bit disheartening.

--Matt
Hi Matt,

This is one example of where a man-made synthetic will outperform a modified petroleum. The Rotella T 5W-40 is made from Group III base oil. This is highly processed petroleum that has most of the wax removed. There's still some was there to thicken in the deep cold, though.

The PAO/ester or ester/PAO synthetics say very fluid to a lower temperature.

A couple of seconds of low pressure on a -10F morning is normal, though. I get a couple flashes of the light running a PAO/ester 5W-40 on a 28 degree morning here in South Texas. ;) You did good getting it started!

Andy

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
AndyH said:
...The PAO/ester or ester/PAO synthetics stay very fluid to a lower temperature.

A couple of seconds of low pressure on a -10F morning is normal, though. I get a couple flashes of the light running a PAO/ester 5W-40 on a 28 degree morning here in South Texas. ;) You did good getting it started!
But even the PAO/esters get thick at -0 degree temps. Just stick a sample in a freezer that goes down to -10 degrees. Pour point does not mean it will flow fast, just that it will pour at that given temp.

Andy, 28 in South Texas? Wow!