Oil In Intercooler

bugowner

TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
Hi
I have a 1999 TDI Beetle and a friend of mine asked me if I ever drained the oil from my Intercooler. I had never heard of this issue. I have over 290 k on the engine and have regularly serviced it over the years. He mentioned that a friend of his had serious engine problems, as he had oil from his intercooler back into his engine.
I found several YouTube Videos showing users drilling a small hole in the lowest part of the Intercooler near the right front wheel and draining out oil. Then they put a screw back in the hole and problem solved.
Is this an issue with TDIs and what is the best way to approach the problem, if it is?
Thanks ...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
This is an issue if you “ baby “ the car.
If you are not redlining it at least once a week oil can accumulate on the bottom boost pipe and if there’s enough and you romp on the pedal you can , the increased airflow and velocity can pick up the oil and feed it into the engine which can cause an engine runaway and hydrolocking the engine.
Some people call,it an ‘ Italian tune up” others recommend “ drive it like you stole it “.

If you haven’t red lined it I would suggest pulling the lower boost pipe and draining the oil if any and using rags put it into the back side of the intercooler the get the majority of the oil out.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I'd say drain it and if there's not a significant amount your driving habits are good enough. If there's a lot do what Steve suggested.

bugowner

TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
This is an issue if you “ baby “ the car.
If you are not redlining it at least once a week oil can accumulate on the bottom boost pipe and if there’s enough and you romp on the pedal you can , the increased airflow and velocity can pick up the oil and feed it into the engine which can cause an engine runaway and hydrolocking the engine.
Some people call,it an ‘ Italian tune up” others recommend “ drive it like you stole it “.

If you haven’t red lined it I would suggest pulling the lower boost pipe and draining the oil if any and using rags put it into the back side of the intercooler the get the majority of the oil out.
OK. I will look into that and see what is in there. Some have drilled a small hole in the lowest part of the plastic and drained it that way. Then they put a screw in the hole but I must say I don't like drilling holes in any part of a car. Thank you for your reply ...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
yea basically the hole and screw is a decent option, Oil is normal, mostly 90% of it is from the turbos journal bearing!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If it hasn't been drained in a while... or ever... it will be hard to judge what "a lot" means this time. As posted above, a bit of seepage past the turbo seal/bearing is normal; helps it do its job.

For me personally, I drain as part of an oil change... and feel OK about a tablespoon or two at oil change time. A tiny hole with a screw to cap it makes this a breeze, and doing it regularly makes me feel like I'll catch on if the turbo starts to go sideways.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Best thing you can do. Drain and next oil change compare how much drained out vs how much oil you had to add over the service interval you used.
Right now you can (with the engine off and cold) take the turbo inlet boot off and wiggle the turbo shaft. LoL
A tiny side to side is about normal. Like 1 to 2mm is ok. But there should be much less if any (preferably none) forward and back or "end play"
If there is a LOT of end play the turbo is on it's way out. It should feel tight but with a little give.

Runaways are not common but they do happen. Just leave it in gear and stall it out and pray your clutch holds... if it's an auto... well just pray it does not happen. I'm not sure if your car has a anti shutter valve but as long as that is in working order then there really isnt much risk.

bugowner

TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
If it hasn't been drained in a while... or ever... it will be hard to judge what "a lot" means this time. As posted above, a bit of seepage past the turbo seal/bearing is normal; helps it do its job.

For me personally, I drain as part of an oil change... and feel OK about a tablespoon or two at oil change time. A tiny hole with a screw to cap it makes this a breeze, and doing it regularly makes me feel like I'll catch on if the turbo starts to go sideways.
It may have been drained but it would have been done by my mechanic and his writing is terrible ;-) . I will proceed with the drain idea and every oil change(which I am doing myself now) I will keep a close eye on it by removing the screw as suggested. Thanks again for your post ...

bugowner

TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
Best thing you can do. Drain and next oil change compare how much drained out vs how much oil you had to add over the service interval you used.
Right now you can (with the engine off and cold) take the turbo inlet boot off and wiggle the turbo shaft. LoL
A tiny side to side is about normal. Like 1 to 2mm is ok. But there should be much less if any (preferably none) forward and back or "end play"
If there is a LOT of end play the turbo is on it's way out. It should feel tight but with a little give.

Runaways are not common but they do happen. Just leave it in gear and stall it out and pray your clutch holds... if it's an auto... well just pray it does not happen. I'm not sure if your car has a anti shutter valve but as long as that is in working order then there really isnt much risk.
I agree with the draining the InterCooler and will add that to my maintenance schedule. I am interested in having a look at the Turbo, by trying to wiggle the turbo shaft. I believe I know where this item is but I am not familiar with the term 'boot'. Is it not the hose from the Air Box to the Turbo? Can you direct me to a picture or video showing this process. I have a Bentley Manual and I see what I believe is the hose. Just need a bit of confidence that I am doing the correct thing the right way.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am slowly getting to know my 1999 Beetle more intimately and I so much appreciate the enthusiasm on this forum. My Beetle is a Standard Shift and an ALH Engine Type, what are you referring to when you say:
"Just leave it in gear and stall it out and pray your clutch holds... if it's an auto... well just pray it does not happen. I'm not sure if your car has a anti shutter valve but as long as that is in working order then there really isnt much risk." I take it what you are saying is IF it were ever to enter a 'runaway state' your approach is how to handle it?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I don't get the drain plug to check at oil change idea.

If you redline it weekly the oil won't build up. If you don't, waiting 10k is too long.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Sounds good. I will step her down for sure. Thanks ...
i wouldnt "redline" it too much, but you can definitely go to 3-3.5-4K rpm regularly or just drive it more aggressively