Oil from oranges?

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
A friend of mine from Greece says that he can gather several tons of oranges fallen from trees. Can the oil from the oranges' skins somehow be extracted and then used to make biodiesel? What would the procedure be? How could he find out how to do this?

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I think it wold take a lot more than several tons of oranges to make any quantity of oil, but I bet your exhaust would smell great.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
The oil of citrus skins is a very powerful solvent called Limonene(s). It would burn well, but would probably eat up seals in the fuel system really quick.

PS: if you've never tried it, peel an orange near a candle flame. When the oil squirts out, it will flash off in a miniature explosion. The stuff burns great.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Yey! Another fuel source, less food for an ever growing world population.
The problem is not the use of food products for fuel, the problem is the population growth itself. Food can't be delivered without fuel, and population growth won't be supported forever in any ecosystem/planet.

Our species has some very difficult lessons ahead of us.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Ethanol can be made from the orange flesh, oil extracted from skins, pigs can eat the remnants. Get enough of those oranges and you could have a nice little enterprise...

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
Ethanol can be made from the orange flesh, oil extracted from skins, pigs can eat the remnants. Get enough of those oranges and you could have a nice little enterprise...
Yes it can. But back to the original question, how can the oil best be extracted from skins?:confused:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
It's already extracted on a large commercial scale for sale as solvent (d-limonene), which sells for more than biodiesel.

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
It's already extracted on a large commercial scale for sale as solvent (d-limonene), which sells for more than biodiesel.
Can you provide the contact info for a company, which does this? I'm trying to research the feasibility of setting up a similar operation in Greece.

VWWV

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 96, candy white
Yes it can. But back to the original question, how can the oil best be extracted from skins?:confused:
I live in what was once the world's primary citrus growing/processing location.... until Brazil took over the top spot about 2 decades ago. I've had the pleasure of knowing/associating with many of the top growers and processors. The University of Florida operates the Citus Experiment Station in a small town nearby where researchers (primarily chemists with doctorates) have been able to extract multiple valuable products from the citrus peel, pulp, and seeds that are recovered from the juicing process. I can assure you that they have thoroughly investigated the utility of thousands of by products from citrus and that virtually none of that wonderful fruit goes to waste and that the products derived come from years of research into the most efficient and profitable usage. The end-stage product is dry and granular and is suitable for livestock feed. Are you aware that Florida ranks as the number one or two cattle growing state? BTW, a pound of beef costs more that a gallon of fuel. Returning to the comment that "citrus peel heals brain damage", perhaps that's why there is no Mad Cow disease in Florida? If biofuel was a profitable by-product of citrus, it would have become available long, long ago. The cogniscenti learned to mix citrus with ethanol long before we learned to mix gasoline with ethanol, although I must say that some ethanol I've drank (drunk?) tasted a bit like gasoline. :eek: BTW, the "molasses" by-product that used to be dumped into the fields for the cattle to lick is now used for making ethanol for drinking. Almost all domestic Rum, for example, is made in central Florida....from citrus by products. I know for a fact that it costs more per gallon than even "premium" D2. Vodka and some cheap wines are also made from citrus by-products locally. I apologize for this "pamphlet" sized response.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Can you provide the contact info for a company, which does this? I'm trying to research the feasibility of setting up a similar operation in Greece.

You can start here: http://www.floridachemical.com/whatisd-limonene.htm

The solvent d-Limonene has a value of ~$40-$60/gallon, depending on the market conditions. IMO, It'd be kind of silly to use it as a low-value biofuel, and it isn't compatible with most rubber gasket and o-ring materials.