OEM Steel Oil Pan cover for 2004 PD

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
Re: OEM Steel Oil Pan protection cover

Thanks for the info, I'll check with my parts dealer.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

Lito, this is a great find on your part...Thanks for getting all the info together! I just noticed it for the first time today.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...

A word fromt he wise, use some lock tight on the bolts, mine vibrated loose after about 6 months and left me thinking I blew something up when it was held on by one bolt vibrating away under the car....what a relief it was to find out it just lost a couple bolts (which are now an interference fit hexagonal head that mashes up agains the edge of the steel cover).

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

I just got the grommets and plastic rivets. Looks like they'll work fine. Don't know if I will install them or keep my nut and bolt combination since I know they're holding very well.

L

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore

There is a "hybrid" oil pan listed on ebay...its actually an oil pan that has a steel bottom bolted to an aluminum upper section.
I remember a thread on those on the Vortex a while back. IIRC they were found on Mexican-market 2004 models. Probably to deal with the rougher road conditions down there, thought I'm sure many of us northern North Americans would appreciate it, too!

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav

I just got the grommets and plastic rivets. Looks like they'll work fine. Don't know if I will install them or keep my nut and bolt combination since I know they're holding very well.

L
Apparently, from time to time, the rivets fall out and cause the pan protector to vibrate. I bought an extra two of them, jusr in case i loose the rivet.

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 Tornado Red

The skid plate that DG sells is an OEM piece. It is sold in Europe as a "rough road" item. DG puts it toegether with all the rivnuts, rivnut tool and other sundry hardware you need to do a complete install. Pricey, but worth it IMHO. I have one - after a holed oil pan!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

The skid plate that DG sells is an OEM piece. It is sold in Europe as a "rough road" item. DG puts it toegether with all the rivnuts, rivnut tool and other sundry hardware you need to do a complete install. Pricey, but worth it IMHO. I have one - after a holed oil pan!
Thanks, but it's been well established that this is the case. It's on the related thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=722757&an=0&page=0#722757

This thead is about the OEM Steel Oil Pan Cover, not the skid plate.

Lugnut

TDI
2004 Jetta, Gray
OEM Steel Oil Pan protection cover

Looks great. I have changed my own oil in everything for decades, but I have never had one give me so much trouble as this 04 Jetta Diesel. The plastic shrouding is immense, with more connectors than I have counted thus far. I wonder if you have permanently removed all of this apparatus? I would love to have access to the drain bolt. Any thoughts on whether all iof the shroud is necessary. I typically defer to the engineers believing it wouldn't be there unless they thought it had to be. Thanks.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I was thinking abou this as well during my first oil change and while installing my wife's Standheizung.

If you didn't know, many people ripped off their front bumper skins because of the lower valance catching on curbs or concrete stops.

This design is probably a reaction to all the messed up front bumpers and lower valances.

It also does do a better job of closing up all the holes underneath that the older design left open.

Lugnut

TDI
2004 Jetta, Gray

Thanks. Makes sense. Basically, I start removing fasteners and get pretty far along. Then, I get toward the bumper, and find that many more further up need to be removed. It appears I have to take off more plastic to take off the plastic. So, I literally bent down that part of the shroud which was loose and ran the oil through a piece of sheet metal I bent to act as a funnel. Not pretty, but it worked.

On one occasion, I was in Columbus, GA on business and, knowing I needed an oil change, carried my filter with me along with my Motul oil from the ImpexFap folks. I pulled into the local VW dealer and asked how much for an oil change if I provided the filter and the oil. The answer was a pleasing $15. However, I failed to spy on the mechanic doing the change to see how he overcame this shroud problem that I have invented. So, I think I will repeat the process and this time hang around the car and ask dumb questions.

One thought - I see in Wal-Mart these Fram Oil change hoses that replace the existing drain plug. Don't know if they have one for the Jetta TDI - but I will check. I can see a convenient hole being cut in the shroud to allow for the protrusion of the hose during changes. It could work.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP

Well I am thinking of putting one on my 04 jetta, but have a question first. I know that people are putting dynamat extreme on their skidplates before installing them. If I was to put some on this oil pan protector, would it make any difference?
Dan

Lugnut

TDI
2004 Jetta, Gray

UPDATE - I have visited the FRAM site and there is no "Suredrain" product for the Jetta Diesel. I have called customer service and requested that the product be produced. Do I think they will listen? Stranger things have happened.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Dan,

If your doing it for sound, I wouldn't bother. It doesn't really need it.

L

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI

Make sure and get the plastic fasteners and modify the plate at the AC compressor. Mine was a PITA to get on and I had bought the 4 hex bolts listed above.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Can you please tell us what modifications were necessary? I didn't have to trim or modify anything.

I think this is the veiw towards the AC Compressor you're talking about, right? That's the compressor bracket on the left-side(of the picture). The tranny is on the right.

Fit like a gove.

Lito

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI

Mine looks a little different for my 2002 5 speed wagon. I haven't made the modifications, but I had to force the pan around the compressor after I struggled to get the pan to fit snug. Now after only 4 days it is rattling, but I don't know where. When I get some time to crawl back under I'll give an update. Scroll down off of this thread and they talk about it.
Previous Oil Pan Cover Thread

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

UPDATE - I have visited the FRAM site and there is no "Suredrain" product for the Jetta Diesel. I have called customer service and requested that the product be produced. Do I think they will listen? Stranger things have happened.
I tried one once and threw threw the thing away and went back to FUMOTO Oil Drain Valve. FUMOTO Oil Drain Valve

I prefer the skidplate, but I drive 80 miles a day (usually too fast) on the worst stretch of interstate in the United States... I-95. I prefer the piece fo mind and frame stiffening it provides. I also have $300+ to throw around on silly car upgrades.
I have driven both I-95 & I-70 and I-70 has got to be the worst interstate in the country, probably due to both the weather and the fact it is the main east/west route for the big rigs.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Mine looks a little different for my 2002 5 speed wagon. I haven't made the modifications, but I had to force the pan around the compressor after I struggled to get the pan to fit snug.
So, based upon your experience, the 2002's are not the same as the 2004's?

Is your oil pan cover suffix AB? Is there a chance the oil pan cover has changed? I'd like to hear from others that might try it on an older car.

I can say for sure, it'll fit the 2004 Jetta Wagon based upon my install.

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Thanks for the info. I'm checking into the AC compressor mounting bracket part numbers for gas, diesel and the PD engine now. Will post findings.

*Update:

It looks like the part numbers for the Gas and TDI-PD Ac compressor are very similar. The regular TDI compressor bracket number is totally different.

THEREFORE, I can only safely say that this oil pan protector cover will only fit the 2004 TDI-PD's and Gassers WITHOUT any modification!

It can be trimmed to fit around the TDI-non PD, as the mounting holes are the same.

Lito

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI

Nice work. I'll get to fixing mine this weekend hopefully and give an update.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Aaron, could you please post a picture of how much trimming is necessary?

Volmaniac, maybe we can get some pictures of the PD vs non-PD AC compressor bracket.

I'll work on that.

Lito

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather

I just saw a VW technical bulliten for this. The TSB is for installing this pan. It states to install this pan in place of pans damaged from road debris impacts and other damage "not covered by the vehicle warranty". Its called the "Hybrid Oil Pan" and its for 1999.5 to 2004 MY vehicles. Part # 1JM 198 601 AA is for the 1.8 L and part # 1JM 198 601 T is for the 2.0 L
I guess they are just specified for the gas engines. There is no listing for the 1.9 L TDI. The TSB States Hybrid pans consist of a two-piece aluminum/steel assembly. The pic looks like the one that is posted on this thread.

--Nate

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None

THEREFORE, I can only safely say that this oil pan protector cover will only fit the 2004 TDI-PD's and Gassers WITHOUT any modification!

Lito
To add another data point, 'gasser' really only means the 2.0. The 1.8T has an oil return line from the turbo that goes into the back of the oil pan between the oil level sensor relief & drain plug.

After a few e-mails back and forth with Jerry @ Impex, we came to the conclusion this isn't a bolt-on mod for 1.8T cars either (at least my '01 1.8T, engine code AWD).

Just FYI.

Al

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd

I just installed the steel protective cover on my '02 Golf TDI. It did not just bolt on. There is a clearance problem on my car between the rt. ft. of the cover and the AC compressor. I had to bend back the front edge for about 6" to clear the compressor. I also covered the inside of the cover with insulation foam hoping to quiet noise coming out thru the oil pan.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

just installed the steel protective cover on my '02 Golf TDI. It did not just bolt on. There is a clearance problem on my car between the rt. ft. of the cover and the AC compressor. I had to bend back the front edge for about 6" to clear the compressor. I also covered the inside of the cover with insulation foam hoping to quiet noise coming out thru the oil pan.
Yes, it's been established that the Non-PD's AC compressor bracket is different from the PD's Compressor bracket. Did you see my post?
*Update:

It looks like the part numbers for the Gas and TDI-PD Ac compressor are very similar. The regular TDI compressor bracket number is totally different.

It can be trimmed to fit around the TDI-non PD, as the mounting holes are the same.

Lito
Trimming is necessary on all NON-PD TDI's. If you notice, I've changed the title of the thread. It now reads:

OEM Steel Oil Pan protection cover for 2004 PD
I'm going to try and see if I can mark and measure the oil pan for the regular TDI's.

Did you take any pictures?

L