OBD scanner recommendations

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I'd like to get a OBD reader. Does anyone have recommendations on models or brands? Features?

:confused:

I'd like to get baseline readings or current readings on my Jetta. Just got it a few weeks ago. Nothing wrong, but I'd like to start getting prepared for the inevitable.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
VCDS is the preferred one here. You need a laptop to download the software (free download) and the cable from Ross-Tech.

A generic scanner can read stuff, but it can't read everything you will want to on your car. Also, their support is top-notch. So many folks here have posted a problem with their car and the guys there will come here and help people use VCDS to help troubleshoot.

Or if there is a problem they are having with VCDS, they have jumped in and fixed it right there and made that fix available.

They don't just sell scanners, they are support for your car.

You will also see here that they are called VAG-COM, but have changed the name to VCDS.

penclnck

I'll chime in with that VCDS also does support generic OBDII for our cars as well as some other makes. But OBDII is limited, at best, as compared to what you get with VCDS, a factory level diagnostic kit.

If you plan on doing any kind of work on your VW, you need the right tools to do the job, and VCDS is one of the must have tools these days.

hank miller

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
The cheap 100 tools at an auto-parts store will read codes, and that is about all. This will fix 80% of your problems, but won't settle your curiosity.

Vag-com is just as good as the VW computer - I've used both. The OTC genisys and pegisys is also good (disclaimer: I work for OTC), but at $5000+ or so you better want to look at a lot more than just VW. (But if you have a lot of cars to work on it might be worth it). Those are the only options I know of for VW.

If all you want is the codes, most auto-parts stores will lend you the tool. Some of them have good tools, some can just do codes.

jcam

TDI
2005 New Beetle
OBD's
We bought a 2005 New Beetle TDI. After reading many options and not having a laptop to travel with, I purchased a Harbor Freight Item # 96374 Code reader for VW/Audi ( $99+). It has several helpful features- Read/erase, readiness tests, ECU info. Of course I then refer to my Bentley New Beetle Service Manual ( About $100), for final instructions. So far no problems I haven't been able to resolve.