nytimes - The cost of higher fuel economy

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
The New York Times had an article today citing that apart from the Prius and Jetta TDI, the cost of higher economy options generally do not return their investment in the typical life of a car, assuming $4/gallon fuel prices.
The included chart lists the Jetta TDI as having the fastest payback (1.1 years) for the incremental cost of the TDI engine.

VWDoggy

TDI
2012 golf
Interesting, but the fuel economy was a bonus, I just really liked the car. I was actually looking at a GTI and drove the TDI and liked it better.

IMHO people who buy hybrids are making more of a lifestyle statement, eco-friendly and all that. I think people who drive a TDI also make a statement, fun loving and smart. LOL

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Interesting, but the fuel economy was a bonus, I just really liked the car. I was actually looking at a GTI and drove the TDI and liked it better.

IMHO people who buy hybrids are making more of a lifestyle statement, eco-friendly and all that. I think people who drive a TDI also make a statement, fun loving and smart. LOL
You can't deny that the Prius gets very good mileage, especially in the city. Just because it's half the car the Golf is doesn't mean its owners lack intelligence. They just don't care.

Rhino39

TDI
2012 TDI 6M
I bought a mustang last summer which i had been commuting in. I drive about 100 miles a day, i bought my TDI at the end of February. The monthly savings in fuel costs alone make my TDI payment plus insurance with money left over for beer. So it is almost like a free car, atleast that is how i justified it to the wife. I actually prefer commuting in the Jetta. My last one was a '95 GLX with the VR6 ... ofcourse this one is not quite as peppy as that one, getting insane mileage is fun in its own way.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
My last car was a 1995 Pathfinder that got 15mpg. I drive roughly 900 miles a week, and in the last 8 months, ive driven 28k miles at 48mpg average. 28k miles in the pathfinder would cost 7100$ vs. the 2300$ ive put in my jetta. its already saved me 4800$ in fuel! In 3 years my car will have paid for itself in fuel savings alone.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
You can't deny that the Prius gets very good mileage, especially in the city. Just because it's half the car the Golf is doesn't mean its owners lack intelligence. They just don't care.
Exactly. The fact that we have a Prius that my wife drives means that I have more time and money available to do work on the Jetta.

Which car would I rather drive in almost any situation? The Jetta. But, I have to respect Toyota for delivering an amazingly efficient, reliable car that can be used like an appliance and depended on like an appliance.

To people who love driving and doing some work on cars, I always recommend a TDI. But to my friends who always take their cars to dealers for any kind of maintenance and really don't notice the amazing suspension or driving dynamics of a vw, I have to recommend the Prius.

I think owning one of each is the best of both worlds.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
The real savings come from retiring (or semi-retiring) the 10mpg truck or suv, and getting into ANYTHING that gets from 30-40mpg. No savings squabbling over the difference between say 32 and 34mpg.

Many of my local buds have done (or are doing) the truck/suv to car swap. They used to brag about the beefiness of their trucks. Now they brag about mpg... They seem to finally be "getting it"!!

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
The real savings come from retiring (or semi-retiring) the 10mpg truck or suv, and getting into ANYTHING that gets from 30-40mpg. No savings squabbling over the difference between say 32 and 34mpg.

Many of my local buds have done (or are doing) the truck/suv to car swap. They used to brag about the beefiness of their trucks. Now they brag about mpg... They seem to finally be "getting it"!!
I'm in that boat as well. Went from V8 pickups to lifted Jeep Wranglers....

GenoBluzGtr

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Heard this touted on Rush Limbaugh's show. Thanks for posting the link.

I have a friendly "competition" with some friends who own hybrids (2012 Camry, 2012 Escape) that will definitely show this to!

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
What was most interesting to me was the late comments in the article about the lack of value in option packages like the Cruze ECO. Took even longer to pay off than the hybrid.