Nozzle upgrade, IQ adjustment, and Tune

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I'll cheerfully admit to "over-capitalization", after 4+ years it doesn't look so bad. I've got 187k on it, a pittance in MkIV years, and I've got every confidence that it will keep going, knock on wood, for many years/miles to come. Runs like the proverbial train and I'm done with mods, it doesn't need any more power. FE is in the high 30s around town,
low 40s on the highway, lousy compared to some here, but if I stick my foot into it at 70 I'm passin'! I have no problem paying the freight for the performance. If I went to .216 nozzles I could probably p/u a few more mpg without sacrificing too much.

Most of my "upgrades" were simply long term maintenance items; exhaust, suspension, clutch, turbo, items you'd normally replace on an elderly car, and I went for the premium, more expensive, replacements. Haven't had a car payment since I was 18, 50 years later I'm not going to change that now.

Jard

TDI
99.5 Jetta
Thank you. I am planing for the future when I do repairs. And looking at Rrussse11 signature, that looks awesome! I would love to drive it to get a feel.

I was looking at the PP520 and tune for the time, then gather the rest of my parts and retune. Right now this is my commuter car, so I am trying to maintain a ballance. But my endgame will be rebuilding the lower and upper end for 200 to 250 hp and 350+ lb/ft.
This is an awesome project for me and my boys, they are 7 and 5, and they love helping and learning. They also love the feeling of power. *Insert Jeremy Clarkson yelling and smiling*

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"I would love to drive it to get a feel. "

Jard,
Too bad you're not closer. This is precisely the problem I had when working the car up. I haven't driven anybody else's modded car to get an idea of what the variety of improvements mean for on the road feel and performance. Operating in the dark, or just from what I can glean from reading here on the forums. Especially considering how much of it is subjective, style of driving, conditions and expectations.

I have focused on suspension and handling, raw power ain't much good if you can't keep it on the road IMO. The LSD
made the critical difference for me, transforms the cornering. Power up halfway through and it pulls you through the bends. No harsh bushings, I'm on OEM rubber and no rear sway bar, big brakes INCLUDING the rear. The wheel spacers have widened the stance front and back a bit, I was amazed at what a minor change there did to the overall feel.
No dyno but I'd say I'm in the neighborhood of 170hp, SBC clutch with a taller 5th and it's a great highway cruiser.
Car just loves 80mph.

My wooden $.05.

Jard

TDI
99.5 Jetta
Thank you Rrussse11! I will be looking at your sig for more of a benchmark now.
I could not agree more about wanting to drive/ride in a modified car for a comparison.
I also agree about suspension mods too. I love the cornering g's! My favorite car for that was an 87.5 mk1 Toyota Mr2, I have yet to feel anything that handled like the Mr2.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Jard,

You're welcome, but be aware I've never been a motor head. Closest thing I've ever owned to a sportscar was a 1960 Karmann Ghia, 6v, 36hp. Totalled that drunk when I was 18. My vehicles have been A>B clunkers that I drove till they
dropped. And I'm only a mechanic of necessity, I could mostly keep 'em going, but that was in the days of simpler machines.

My Golf has got me interested enough to do what I can myself, and it's been edjercashunal from all kinds of perspectives.
It's certainly the fastest, & nicest to drive car, I've ever owned. I highly recommend the "What is Handling Thread"
here; https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/what-is-handling.133342/.
Our MkIVs aren't really sports cars, but it's a whole lot of fun driving a slow car fast, and mod and tune 'em and all of a sudden they ain't that slow. I can give GTIs a run for their money.

Spend some time and money, bigger turbo, nozzles, tune and more air!, think intake and intercooler. Tighten up the suspension and get GOOD tires and some light wheels, and they're a blast. All at 40+mpg, what's not to like!

Cheers!