No start 1999 1.9Tdi - 17970 code

DarrenUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia 1999
My 1999 skoda octavia (vw golf platform) has been sitting for a few months. Went to start it last week and it cranked fine but would not fire. Tried to start it untill the battery drained.

Went back to it last night with tools and vagcom. Put jump leads on it and connected vag-com showed "17970 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached P1562 - 35-00 - -" cleared code and tried to start. No joy. Tried to bleed it at the injectors and was getting fuel to all injectors.
Tried playing with the cold start 'adaption 5' tried at max value and some low values no help.
Noticed that after clearing the code and turning the ignition off and back on the code would come again without cranking after the ignition was turned on for30ish seconds

Any suggestions? I've done a search. The car was running fine before it sat.
I'll test the ohms at the pump connections 5 and 6 and see what I get.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual

DarrenUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia 1999
Thanks for that Buddha.

I'd already read most of the links you pointed me at.

Did some more testing the other day. Fuel temp looked good using vag-com.
Pulled the plug to the IP and tested ohms between.
Pin 5 and 6 = .9
Pin 4 and 7 = 2917
Pin 1 and 2 = 5.9
Pin 2 and 3 = 5.9
All looks good to me?

Fuel filter replaced not long ago.
If the cut off solenoid was bad surely I would not be getting fuel at the injectors.

This is puzzling me.

Any more suggestions.

Best

Darren.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
your car was sitting, check the air intake for mouse nest or other obstruction.

DarrenUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia 1999
could not get vag-com working on my new laptop but had a chance to disconnect the air ducting from the filter and try to start.

No start

Anti shudder valve appears to be free

I'll get VAG COM working and try to figure out the wiring between the IP and the ECU so I can test the quantity sensor wiring is good.

Any more ideas???

DarrenUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia 1999
Tested the wiring between the quantity sensor and adjuster and the ECU nothing showed any resistance (pins 1,2,3 and 6 (which breaks into 2 before reaching the ECU).

I turned on the car and hooked up VAG-COM and checked for codes. Had a list of 5 codes. Realised I'd left the injector pump unplugged. What I noticed was that the quantity sensor fault code had changed to Lower Limit Reached.

Plugged the pump back in and I am left with the Higher Limit code which will not clear. Sometimes I can get it to clear for a short while but it will reappear without cranking the engine.

So now to my mind.

The sensor in the pump appears to be working correctly (the ohm readings between pin 1 and 2 / 2 and 3 are within spec.)

If the signal was loosing potency between the pump and the IP things should move in the direction of 'lower limit' rather than 'higher limit' (Assumption after getting the lower limit code with unplugged pump.)

My next step is to check the feed to pin 5 (which apparently comes from inside the cab) should be +12V. I'll see what I can test without being invasive but may well spike the insulation on this wire close to the pump to check it's getting the correct voltage with everything plugged together and the ignition on.

I'll also try (hoping) changing IQ in adaption. I did mess with cold start adaption early on - don't think I tried IQ.

Failing this I'm guessing a dodgy ECU???

DarrenUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia 1999
Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Checked pin 5 on the loom side very low voltage.

Looked at relay 109. It is grey took the lid off and all looked well...

Checked voltage of the red/violet wire in the connector box in the plenium chamber (near the ECU). Green connector. This feeds the ECU but is fed from same point as pin 5. 12 V

Checked voltage at the multiplug in the cable channel behind the battery 12 V.

Risistance test between here and IP shows large resistance.

Cut cable by both plugs. Check resistance between each cable end an multi plug - good.

crimp on spade terminals to both ends and run new wire. Clear code - it does not reappear.

Start engine.

At some point I'll pull out the battery and pull the loom from the plastic holder on the starter motor and try to find the cause of the problem.

Strange this happened with the car sitting.

Still thanks for all the suggestions.

Best

Darren

Last edited: