No Response From Controller

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I am running VAG-COM Release 504.1-D, with a HEX-COM Rev. B cable. I went into module 46 - Central Convenience to change the door lock/unlock settings. When I tried to go back into the module, I get "No response from controller." Rebooting the PC, and cycling the ignition numerous times had no effect. The module will not respond. Other modules (Engine, Auto Trans) modules respond normally. This is on a 2003 Jetta GLS 2.0L automatic transmission. The car has power windows. Any ideas? :(

Last edited:

Sebastian

Vendor
This is a known issue with the comfort system control modules. Under certain circumstances, they simply hang and need a hard reset. So pull the fuse for the comfort system control module, put it back after 1 minute, then try again.

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
OUTSTANDING!!! This is on a friend's car. I was going to disconnect the battery, but we didn't know the radio code offhand. I'll try pulling the fuse and reset the controller that way.

Thanks!!!

Sebastian

Vendor
Usually on that car you don't need the radio code when disconnecting the battery, since the radio is matched to the car (instrument cluster) and when reconnecting it checks if it's still in the same car and if so it won't request the radio code.

Anyway, I suppose it should be fuse 5 or 14.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Make shure you don't have another program such as Active Sync trying to get access to the serial port.

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I had problems connecting to the ECU on some cars, but could connect to every other modgule just fine. Disabling active sinc fixed the problem. I too found it strange that it would only partially screw up communications on some cars and not on others. (worked fine on my 99.5 Jetta, dad's 04 Passat, didn't work on an 01 Golf or an 03 Jetta wagon)

-J

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Excellent points (Radio code, serial port conflicts, issues with controllers). I have not had a chance yet to look at the car again, but when I do I'll be sure to post my findings.

Thanks again!

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I pulled fuses 5 and 38 on the car; still no response. I can't disconnect the battery because we don't have the radio code (it was never written in the owner's manual!!!), and I don't want to disable the radio. I didn't want to take the chance that the radio would not come back if it lost power. I tested module 46 on my own car with the same computer and VAG-COM cable, and it talks fine.

Sebastian

Vendor
03tdi said:
I pulled fuses 5 and 38 on the car; still no response.
Why 38? I stated 14 as a possible fuse, did you pull that one too?

03tdi said:
I can't disconnect the battery because we don't have the radio code (it was never written in the owner's manual!!!), and I don't want to disable the radio. I didn't want to take the chance that the radio would not come back if it lost power.
As said, you should not have problems with that on a 2002+ model.

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The Bentley manual has fuse 38 listed as Central Locking System (with power windows); 14 just says Central Locking System. There are also 2 fuses located above the relay panel (S111 and S144, I believe) that may also supply power to the module. I'll keep you posted...

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I pulled the neg. battery cable on the car. When I re-connected it, the controller let me back in, and I was able to change the settings. Additionally, the radio did NOT go into safe mode, just like you said it wouldn't!!! Everything is back to normal.

Thanks for your help!!!

milesdane

TDI
1996 passat
Took my 96' Passat to my mechanic and he hooked up his VAG to the car and it got no responce. So, I should disconnect the neg. from the battery and then reattach and try again.......Are there other avenues to check.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"Additionally, the radio did NOT go into safe mode, just like you said it wouldn't!!! Everything is back to normal."

I read in the Owner's Manual that you have about four hours after you disconnect the battery (or radio) before the radio will go into safe mode. That's one of the few useful pieces of info I've actually read in the owner's manual. The other useful info is the maintenance schedule.

--Nate