No power past 2k, won’t rev past 2k

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
my 2001 alh auto (o1m) Jetta has no power past 2k rpm and barely revs past 2k, when I let off the throttle I can feel some boost kick in, but no power wot. My auto trans has been acting up really badly for a while now, and I’m just wondering if this trans is toast, or am I experiencing some weird limp mode, I don’t think it’s limp mode just because I do have “some” boost. Any help appreciated

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
OBD2 works, lets start there and see what comes up
protip, VCDS

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
Should I go for a drive first and scan before shutting the car off to see if there is any limp codes? Or should I not bother and just do a scan

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Should I go for a drive first and scan before shutting the car off to see if there is any limp codes? Or should I not bother and just do a scan
I would scan it first, make a note of any codes, clear them, then go for a drive and see what codes are set.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Try unplugging the MAF. If things improve, it was bad.
Hi

Just curious but what is the average life of a MAF?

I know running oil type air filters tends to kill them but what else causes them to go bad?

Thanks
Andrew

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
I know running oil type air filters tends to kill them but what else causes them to go bad?
Far as I know, contamination (Oiled filters, dirt ingestion, etc) , age (worn out?) , or simply bad luck is what causes failure.
There are possible outliers, like bad alternator voltage spike, but that probably falls into the bad luck category....

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
Hey guys little update here, I unplugged my maf and have been driving it the last couple days “fine” I am still lacking power but I can at least rev past 2k. I hooked up vcds and when into the engine fault codes and found p3105 (intake manifold flap) p0118 (coolant temp sensor) p1556 (charge pressure control) p0402 (egr excessive flow). I cleared the codes and only p3105 and p0118 were still there. So I’m kinda stumped, could it be just a new maf?

Tom Brown

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Spray the MAF with brake cleaner. Dont spray it a bit. Hose it down with a whole can. It will work as good as new.

Some people will explain to you brake cleaner is the work of the devil but ive done it many times on multiple cars with success.

There is special maf cleaner which is better. Use that if you can find it but brake cleaner works.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
Any progress? Do you have ESP and is that kicking in messing with the engine? An engine that doesn't run right will make you think the trans is bad. Get the engine running right first.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
Any progress? Do you have ESP and is that kicking in messing with the engine? An engine that doesn't run right will make you think the trans is bad. Get the engine running right first.
I haven’t been able to get a new maf yet been super busy with other stuff. I don’t believe i have esp. I’ll let you all know what happens when I get a new maf