No Cel ? EGR delete

Kylebr1

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hello

Hope I am posting in the appropriate area.

Just purchased my 2006 Jetta TDI BRM, recently had the camshaft timing belt and water pump replaced. Dual mass flywheel and clutch was also just done.

When I bought the car I did the fuel filter air filter and a oil change, fixed the door harness and the harness under the hood.

So now to the issues, I took the car on a long road trip 700km total and it seemed like it was lacking power at times. It wasn't until I was halfway home that I got a code that my ASV was stuck closed. Seemed like I would give it one throttle and it would either move like normal or shoot black smoke out the tailpipe and hardly move at highway speeds.

I got home bought a new asv valve and replaced the unit no CEL's since.

One day later on my commute to work I start to hear hissing. I do a bit of research and sure enough I see the EGR flap seal blows out, a very common issue.

I go to fix it tonight and complete the repair. I used a small frost plug cut the actuator arm off and capped the hole, only to realize after a start up that the EGR pipe itself has a crack in it in the flexible portion.

Needing to go to work tomorrow I got to making some make shift EGR block off plates. I used some frost plugs put them into the pipes and thus plugged the egr on both the intake side and at the exhaust manifold side. After taking it for a spin it seems like at first the car was Bogging down in first but after a bit of driving it drives perfect. Only weird issue now is the fact that I have no Cel on the dash can anyone explain to me why this might happen ?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
In a word, no I cannot, but I will offer this... It is my opinion that when you add complexity to any already complex system, you exponentially create unanticipated scenarios of unexpectedly related system conditions that can yield completely unexpected consequences as well. Great airplane designs worked well for years until they didn't. Great bridge designs worked perfectly until they didn't due to unanticipated consequence of combinations of circumstances.

What error codes are showing in your VCDS program results?

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
No check engine light? from Blocking off EGR cooler?

There are no sensors for the EGR cooler to turn on a CEL

NOW if you disconnect the EGR cooler Valve or the ASV valve yes you'll get a light.

Just a Tid bit but I have been running with a disconnected ASV and EGR cooler valve and a Blocked off and removed EGR cooler for over 200K.
My car has 350K on it now Just did its first Valve job on its 3rd cam, 2nd Flywheel, and now a new set of Injectors from Bosch, 2nd Turbo, 4th Timming belt, 2nd set of rear brakes, 3rd set of tires, 4 EGR coolers, 2 ASV valves, Having electrical gremlins in taillights and Blinkers now.
Past electric issues with doors, windows, head lights. window motor, Sat radio quit working.

Wishing I just scraped it Instead of dumping more money into rebuilding the head and replacing the injectors! Car owned since new Biggest pile of Dog **** since the Edsel! Fuel savings are not there when you add into the cost of parts and labor and Hassle breaking down plus added expense of special oils needed for engine that promise the world and dont live up to the hype.

I have owned the car since new I can say that with confidence the cars are complete junk!

Last edited:

Kylebr1

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No check engine light? from Blocking off EGR cooler?

There are no sensors for the EGR cooler to turn on a CEL

NOW if you disconnect the EGR cooler Valve or the ASV valve yes you'll get a light.

Just a Tid bit but I have been running with a disconnected ASV and EGR cooler valve and a Blocked off and removed EGR cooler for over 200K.
My car has 350K on it now Just did its first Valve job on its 3rd cam, 2nd Flywheel, and now a new set of Injectors from Bosch, 2nd Turbo, 4th Timming belt, 2nd set of rear brakes, 3rd set of tires, 4 EGR coolers, 2 ASV valves, Having electrical gremlins in taillights and Blinkers now.
Past electric issues with doors, windows, head lights. window motor, Sat radio quit working.

Wishing I just scraped it Instead of dumping more money into rebuilding the head and replacing the injectors! Car owned since new Biggest pile of Dog **** since the Edsel! Fuel savings are not there when you add into the cost of parts and labor and Hassle breaking down plus added expense of special oils needed for engine that promise the world and dont live up to the hype.

I have owned the car since new I can say that with confidence the cars are complete junk!
So i read another thread and did just that, unplugged the egr and now i have a cel which makes sense.
I guess the major issue with leaving it plugged in is the ASV works in conjunction with the EGR so if you leave it plugged they will try to work in proper order still and activate each other.

As far as the car goes i just picked it up has 315xxx km camshaft clutch and flywheel just done. i have a feeling the turbo is on the way out but i did pay 2800$ for the car. i commute 150km a day so this car saves me a ton in fuel. previously i had a 2001 Tahoe which cost me 100$ every 4 days. I have been getting about 800km to a tank without a tune which i think is decent.