NJ TURNPIKE no ulsd?

diezlpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf tdi
filled up today at the sunoco on the NJ turnpike $4.67/gallon. anway the pumps still have the old stickers saying 500ppm low sulfur diesel. I wonder if they are indeed still selling the old diesel or just never changed the stickers

D_Bill

Veteran Member
TDI
old_v1 - 01 jetta / old_v2 02 golf / new 13 jsw-6sp
odor

FWIW - my simple test was

When ulsd first came out I thought I could tell the difference by the odor alone - ulsd had almost no odor , esp if "spilled" by nozzles on my hands at truckers pumps while lsd stinks to high heav^& .

GoldJag

TDI
11 Golf Variant
What are they selling on the NJTP today. Is it ULSD 15ppm???

diezlpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf tdi
i dont think they changed the labels. those are sunoco stations and everywhere else, the sunoco stations have ULSD

Strack

Veteran Member
I'm certain that it's ULSD, but when will the industry take the labeling issue seriously enough to clean up their act. If someone reports them to the NJ Gasoline Retailers Association or the EPA, I'd bet they'd jump on it pronto.

From my perspective, the type of fuel, it's cetane level and anti gel protection should be posted on the pump for the consumer to view. Is that asking too much??

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
You'll have access to both on the NJTP due to the close proximity of the refineries.

Kier

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Limited Diesel Edition, DSG, Reflex Silver/Anthracite
When I travel to Trenton or NYC, I always stop at the BP at the Exit 18 Paulsboro/Clarksboro exit on I-295. There is a Petro Truck stop there and the BP is across the street. That diesel is premium and my TDI always runs incredibly smooth and yields high MPGs. It is ULSD and they let you pump your own.

Last edited:

Geoduck

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
dieseldorf said:
You'll have access to both on the NJTP due to the close proximity of the refineries.
Actually, Sunoco completed the ULSD roll-out on the NJTPK in mid-July. All Diesel on the NJTPK is now ULSD....all the time.

I work for Sunoco and confirmed that with our Fuels Quality Department.

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
I filled up at a chain truck stop in SC and clearly it was pumping LSD and a freshly applied sticker said not for use in 2007 or later model year diesel engines....

chemeng1661

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Geoduck said:
All Diesel on the NJTPK is now ULSD....all the time.
I have driven all over NJ and have only encountered diesel pumps that sell ULSD. Is the LSD still sold in certain locations?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Strack said:
... the type of fuel, it's cetane level and anti gel protection should be posted on the pump for the consumer to view. Is that asking too much??
Of course it is. Why in the world should they allow us consumers to have useful information? We're idiots! Virtually all large corporations are quite reticent to allow any volume of technical information out to us of the unwashed masses. Our reason for existence is to consume, not to ask questions or make discerning decisions!:eek:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Moot point. ULSD is scheduled for 100% phase-in later this year. IIRC, LSD will only be "available" for farm/construction equipment. Most of that will be ULSD because that is what the refineries are making.