Next Oil Change...Opinions Needed

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
If it has a "C" rating (CF is fine) and is 5w40 it is almost-certainly fine for the ALH engines. If it has the 505.00 rating along with a "C" rating then per VW it IS acceptable. For the PDs and beyond it gets more-complicated due to cam issues. I have my preference (T6) although I've run TDT before without incident. At present neither is available around here and the ALH in my driveway is coming up on being due in the next month or so thus it'll be what I can get when I need it.
Yup, exactly my original predicament.
To bad we don't have any "insider info" on when the supply chain is going to smooth back out.

I find it interesting that it's just diesel specific oil that's in shortage. You'd think ALL oil would be affected by this...

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I know some people in the industry and apparently it is specific chemicals that are part of the additive package which they can't get at a rational cost (or at all) that is responsible for this. Gas engine oils use a different package (they don't need the soot suspension component nor the TBN aspect, although TBN is less of an issue since ULSD was mandated and TBN can cause trouble with the exhaust treatment systems so it had to be lowered when those showed up) and thus are not impacted.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I know some people in the industry and apparently it is specific chemicals that are part of the additive package which they can't get at a rational cost (or at all) that is responsible for this. Gas engine oils use a different package (they don't need the soot suspension component nor the TBN aspect, although TBN is less of an issue since ULSD was mandated and TBN can cause trouble with the exhaust treatment systems so it had to be lowered when those showed up) and thus are not impacted.
Yeah my initial thoughts were additive package related. Still too bad, it's definitely not good for customers.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
BTW it would be a good idea to get at least one year's supply of oil for every vehicle you have and, when this problem is resolved make sure you keep it that way. No oil is a "no drive" situation if you need it, so... yeah, that's a serious problem. Just because it hasn't hit gas engine additive packages yet does NOT mean it can't or won't.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
BTW it would be a good idea to get at least one year's supply of oil for every vehicle you have and, when this problem is resolved make sure you keep it that way. No oil is a "no drive" situation if you need it, so... yeah, that's a serious problem. Just because it hasn't hit gas engine additive packages yet does NOT mean it can't or won't.
Good point, might have to get a couple backup gallons as well. The truck is the thirsty one, but it shouldn't need an oil change for a while now.

noob_tl

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 NB
That's odd, our Menards store has plenty of T6 in stock, and they cycle through it pretty quick. I just did an oil change a few weeks ago, and I picked up a gallon last week to keep on hand. I don't know if our Walmart has it, I seldom go there.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
What does the "ESP" mean in Mobil Delvac ESP? I've been here long enough that I remember Delvac 1 was basically the only oil any ALH owner here used ;)

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
I don't understand the concern, if it's vw 505.00 rated, it's good to go... plenty to choose from at walmart, like pennzoil platnium 5w40, mobil 1 5w40, valvoline 5w40, castrol 5w40... all 505.00 rated, all very good oils

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
To bad we don't have any "insider info" on when the supply chain is going to smooth back out.

I find it interesting that it's just diesel specific oil that's in shortage. You'd think ALL oil would be affected by this...
Not just diesel oil, all oils. My Mobil distributor says they can't get any Mobil products right now, including grease and hydraulic fluids. We placed our last Mobil 1 order in early September. They aren't even giving me possible dates of when we might see product.

Oddly, we are able to get products refined in Europe. Total, Liqui-Moly (although they have their own issues, but I think it's largely inventory management, not supply), Rowe, Pentosin are all available. Mobil and Shell, nope. And that includes VW and Mercedes branded oils, both refined by Mobil.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Not just diesel oil, all oils. My Mobil distributor says they can't get any Mobil products right now, including grease and hydraulic fluids. We placed our last Mobil 1 order in early September. They aren't even giving me possible dates of when we might see product.

Oddly, we are able to get products refined in Europe. Total, Liqui-Moly (although they have their own issues, but I think it's largely inventory management, not supply), Rowe, Pentosin are all available. Mobil and Shell, nope. And that includes VW and Mercedes branded oils, both refined by Mobil.
I returned to this thread to remind people they can still order oil change kits on idparts. I don't do that because im in Canada but if you live in the states it seems like a fair bet.

My tdi keeps not breaking so I haven't bought anything else from you yet 😅

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Here’s a gift to those that wander into the oil thread….
Save10 Code for Napa. Can get yourself some 5w-40 or 15w-40. $75min and expires on the 23rd

I still think it’s prudent to wait another month or so for the rebates. Then again, the rebate could be a wash if they raise prices like they have on T6…Mobil Delvac 5w-40 is still at $21.99. They haven’t discounted the Extreme 15w-40, so the 5w-40 is a clear winner.

Best of luck

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

Maybe an easy coast/west coast thing, but our shelves are full for gasser specific oils. I don't doubt that suppliers are having issues with their entire product line, but I literally have been to every car parts chain place for oil. Diesel specific is dry, but gasoline "specific" shelves are full. I have no problem using euro spec oil for our cars if the time arrives, but more concerned about the 3 gal of oil my truck takes when she's due for an oil change. Unlike other years where I've sent samples out to understand the health of my engine, this year's sample may be sent out for the "how much longer can my vehicle go" on this oil. Granted this is on my truck.

Last sample I se t out (few years back) was at the 10k mark, they said I could have easily gone another 15k.

I'd be willing to bet if things continue down this path Blackstone and similar companies will see an increase in samples sent in to confirm extended intervals.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Maybe an easy coast/west coast thing, but our shelves are full for gasser specific oils. I don't doubt that suppliers are having issues with their entire product line, but I literally have been to every car parts chain place for oil. Diesel specific is dry, but gasoline "specific" shelves are full. I have no problem using euro spec oil for our cars if the time arrives, but more concerned about the 3 gal of oil my truck takes when she's due for an oil change. Unlike other years where I've sent samples out to understand the health of my engine, this year's sample may be sent out for the "how much longer can my vehicle go" on this oil. Granted this is on my truck.

Last sample I se t out (few years back) was at the 10k mark, they said I could have easily gone another 15k.

I'd be willing to bet if things continue down this path Blackstone and similar companies will see an increase in samples sent in to confirm extended intervals.
I still don't understand what you're concerned about. There is no shortage of vw 502.00/505.00 rated oil, which is what the alh calls for... As for a heavy truck, a quick amazon search shows there's mobil 1 tdt 5w40 available, or various 15w40 available, If they're truely all sold at the local parts stores, just order off amazon, or rock auto, might be a little more expensive, but there's plenty of oils available online...

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I still don't understand what you're concerned about. There is no shortage of vw 502.00/505.00 rated oil, which is what the alh calls for... As for a heavy truck, a quick amazon search shows there's mobil 1 tdt 5w40 available, or various 15w40 available, If they're truely all sold at the local parts stores, just order off amazon, or rock auto, might be a little more expensive, but there's plenty of oils available online...
I'm not concerned. I got my oil days ago and this thread could have ended.

I'm telling you the facts about oil supply in my area. I stated the oil that I normally run and why I choose to run it. There's no mystery here. If you want to make this something more than it is, that's on you.

"If they're truely all sold at the local parts stores, just order off amazon..."

"...plenty of oil available online..."

Why would I lie about this? Also, I, and most people, probably don't want to pay the inflated prices on Amazon (or the web) for things that are in short supply. $43+/gal for TDT? No thanks, there's better oil out there for cheaper. $189 for 3 gal of T6? Right....

I asked a simple question about a Euro Formula which I hadn't seen before.

Unfortunately I bit my tongue when I posted this because I know how oil threads get.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I just picked up a jug of this Mobil1 0W40 (looks exactly like the photo in the original post - on sale this week at CdnTire for $30CAD); says 505.00 on the label.
VW says I need to use 505.00 in my ALH.
Asked and answered, IMO.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
I'm not concerned. I got my oil days ago and this thread could have ended.
I have no problem using euro spec oil for our cars if the time arrives, but more concerned about the 3 gal of oil my truck takes when she's due for an oil change. Unlike other years where I've sent samples out to understand the health of my engine, this year's sample may be sent out for the "how much longer can my vehicle go" on this oil. Granted this is on my truck.
So.... which one is it?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
So.... which one is it?
We're on a forum for TDI's. This thread was started about TDI oil. TDI oil is unrelated to my truck oil in this case, which I threw out there as an example to support my response that the shelves are empty for diesel oil and my truck takes a significant amount more than the car.
Why do you keep replying to this thread? You are not and have not added anything productive to the conversation.

It should be closed but no one mods this forum.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
We're on a forum for TDI's. This thread was started about TDI oil. TDI oil is unrelated to my truck oil in this case, which I threw out there as an example to support my response that the shelves are empty for diesel oil and my truck takes a significant amount more than the car.
Why do you keep replying to this thread? You are not and have not added anything productive to the conversation.

It should be closed but no one mods this forum.
Exactly, tdi forum. My first post was saying there's plenty of good oils that meet the specs available for your alh tdi at Walmart. You then proceeded to say you're concerned about the shortage of truck oil, so I told you there are other options available online (even if a bit more expensive) in case you still can't find truck oil on the shelf. There was no need to bring your truck into the discussion, but since you did, I tried to help you by saying there are other options where you can buy oil for your truck... I don't know what your definition of productive is. Anyways, good luck finding your truck oil whenever the time comes

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Exactly, tdi forum. My first post was saying there's plenty of good oils that meet the specs available for your alh tdi at Walmart.
NO, there are not any oils for my TDI at Walmart. The shelves are empty boss. Why are you trying to tell me that there's stock of oil in my area when there isn't? I don't get what your end game is here? Do you think I would have started this thread if I could have found what I was looking for? Believe me, I'm not new to VW's, diesels, or oil for that matter.

Yes there's tons of oil that meet VW's specs for diesel. Not here, and I'm not paying $50/$60 a gallon online. Maybe if I had expendable income? I'm not in that boat. Which is why I started this thread and asked about an oil that I had never seen before.

I was making a point for my truck. The fact that there isn't any diesel rated oil on the shelves not only puts my car, but my truck in a predicament. I'm happy I found what I did for the car, but I had to go a decent distance outside of my area to get it, which there wasn't much left anyway.

Don't worry man, you need not reply anymore, it's all sorted out. Just stop trolling. You haven't positively contributed to this thread at all.

If it's an issue when it comes time again, I'll send an oil sample out and run another 15k since my analyses have come back from Blackstone multiple times and said I could easily run extended lengths to those numbers.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
NO, there are not any oils for my TDI at Walmart. The shelves are empty boss. Why are you trying to tell me that there's stock of oil in my area when there isn't? I don't get what your end game is here? Do you think I would have started this thread if I could have found what I was looking for? Believe me, I'm not new to VW's, diesels, or oil for that matter.

Yes there's tons of oil that meet VW's specs for diesel. Not here, and I'm not paying $50/$60 a gallon online. Maybe if I had expendable income? I'm not in that boat. Which is why I started this thread and asked about an oil that I had never seen before.

I was making a point for my truck. The fact that there isn't any diesel rated oil on the shelves not only puts my car, but my truck in a predicament. I'm happy I found what I did for the car, but I had to go a decent distance outside of my area to get it, which there wasn't much left anyway.

Don't worry man, you need not reply anymore, it's all sorted out. Just stop trolling. You haven't positively contributed to this thread at all.

If it's an issue when it comes time again, I'll send an oil sample out and run another 15k since my analyses have come back from Blackstone multiple times and said I could easily run extended lengths to those numbers.
LOL, relax dude, just tried to give some friendly advice, don't take it so personal

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The CF and SF are two different specs.
The 505xx is correct.
The CF is for compression ignition and the SF for spark ignition.
Just my 2 cents