Newish to me TDi (a few months now) and seems to be driving even better?

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Maybe it's my brain playing tricks on me, or I'm getting used to driving the car, shift points etc but MAN, it seems like it's "settling in". Original owner put a Stage IV Malone with upgraded injectors, turbo. Do these things "learn" even with a tune? Or maybe it's the cooler weather (Arizona), maybe they change diesel blends for winter? Another indication of it just running better is my last 2 fillups I've easily gotten to 500 miles on a tank, FINALLY breaking the 40mpg (42 as a best so far).

Just thinking out loud here, nothing earth shattering to discuss. Maybe it's simply the cooler air, thus denser air charge coming in making the car more fuel efficient. LOL. Cheers!

James

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Probably the car is feeling better because of your driving style. I take it you give her the beans once she's hot?
You don't want to stomp on it until you're up to temp.
It would be weird if the PO babied the car with all that tune going on, but granny driving is known to promote turbo and intake clogging. Maybe you cleaned her out? These engines LOVE to work hard and at high revs.
Some people swear they never run better than after a day at the track!

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Lol oh heck yeah. I let her warm up and then it’s OFF to the races (just kidding but you know what I mean). When I had my ‘96 VR6 GTI in Germany there wasn’t a day it didn’t see 100mph on the autobahn. I had to take it to the (German) dealer, after the test drive he came back asking “what did you do to that car? I have NEVER driven a stock VR6 that strong. Gotta clear the cobwebs out once in awhile!

James

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
The tune does not "learn" or adapt to a new driving style. Winter diesel and cooler temps will change fuel economy. The main difference, IMO, is that you are learning how to drive a diesel vehicle and this car in particular. "Stab and go" is not the way of diesel. Get them warmed-up and roll-on the power. Like was said above, don't be afraid of high revs and to drive it hard once in a while. On-ramps are my everyday choice. Enjoy. :)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, winterized diesel can actually reduce mpg. I'm guessing your stomping on it once in a while has cleared out the intake a bit or is just plain good for the car. The stock cars will easily approach or exceed 50 mpg, no idea how a Stage 4 tune plays into that.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The tune does not "learn" or adapt to a new driving style. Winter diesel and cooler temps will change fuel economy. The main difference, IMO, is that you are learning how to drive a diesel vehicle and this car in particular. "Stab and go" is not the way of diesel. Get them warmed-up and roll-on the power. Like was said above, don't be afraid of high revs and to drive it hard once in a while. On-ramps are my everyday choice. Enjoy. :)
;) My other daily is my '93 Cummins (turned up a bit with a Hungry Diesel comp pump). Appreciate the responses, really loving being back in a dub!

James

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Maybe it's my brain playing tricks on me, or I'm getting used to driving the car, shift points etc but MAN, it seems like it's "settling in". Original owner put a Stage IV Malone with upgraded injectors, turbo. Do these things "learn" even with a tune? Or maybe it's the cooler weather (Arizona), maybe they change diesel blends for winter? Another indication of it just running better is my last 2 fillups I've easily gotten to 500 miles on a tank, FINALLY breaking the 40mpg (42 as a best so far).

Just thinking out loud here, nothing earth shattering to discuss. Maybe it's simply the cooler air, thus denser air charge coming in making the car more fuel efficient. LOL. Cheers!

James
Plus your AC is working about 5% as hard as 2 months ago.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Cooler air temps maoe a big difference.

Plus sometimes a car just likes you. Like a woman, who knows why?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
i dunno... wagons with that tune and I have two of them should easily see 43 mpg and if you vent your tank you should get 700 miles to a tank without blinking.. then again I run CA High performance renewable fuel. . My stock 03 white sedan GL was purchased in AZ and it got 53 mpg on the way home to San Jose CA, 686 miles and still had more than a quarter of tank left.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
These cars benefit from being driven. And they like cooler weather. So it probably is driving better.

But 42 MPG is pretty low. Last tank on my modified ALH was 49 MPG, one before that was over 50 MPG. My car seems to do better than average, but my Golf (also tuned) gets 46-48 easily. You car may need its setup fine tuned.