Newbie wanting to buy new 2010 TDI Jetta

K.M

TDI
none
I am ready to pull the trigger and buy a brand new White/cornsilk Jetta 6spd however; this HPFP issue is crazy. I really like this car and it will suit my needs perfectly. I have a 1992 5.8L Ford F150 that I put 504,000 miles on the ORIGINAL engine (only replaced several water pumps/altenators/fuel pumps in half million miles). I keep vehicles a long time and maintain them religously. I need this VW to last me a long time but I feel I would the prime person to have an HPFP fail because I keep my vehicles 10+ years or more. If I buy this car, I am asking upfront (in contract) from VW for a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on the HPFP. When I get to 95,000 miles, I have no problem replacing the HPFP at my cost before the $6,000-$10,000 mess could occur. Maybe by then, VW has this engineering screw up figured out. What do you guys think about this? It is reasonable to ask?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
If I buy this car, I am asking upfront (in contract) from VW for a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on the HPFP.

So VWoA or the selling dealer is going to make a special warranty just for you :eek: :p Ha! ... that's funny.

OTOH, you could look at some of these aftermarket warranties and see if anyone would cover the part in question.

Welcome aboard, KM !

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I am ready to pull the trigger and buy a brand new White/cornsilk Jetta 6spd however; this HPFP issue is crazy. I really like this car and it will suit my needs perfectly. I have a 1992 5.8L Ford F150 that I put 504,000 miles on the ORIGINAL engine (only replaced several water pumps/altenators/fuel pumps in half million miles). I keep vehicles a long time and maintain them religously. I need this VW to last me a long time but I feel I would the prime person to have an HPFP fail because I keep my vehicles 10+ years or more. If I buy this car, I am asking upfront (in contract) from VW for a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on the HPFP. When I get to 95,000 miles, I have no problem replacing the HPFP at my cost before the $6,000-$10,000 mess could occur. Maybe by then, VW has this engineering screw up figured out. What do you guys think about this? It is reasonable to ask?
Probably the most direct thing to do is to ask both of those two VW dealers what would they cover a HPFP failure under warranty and how long out of warranty. VW knows they have (hpfp) issues in a (known to them) very small percentage of vehicles. So while the chances of the issue happening to you are very small, what is not known (US market) are the statistical percentages @ 100,000 to 500,000 miles and hopefully beyond. So right now it seems that IF it happens, it happens relatively early 23,000 to 40,000 miles.

Some folks have swagged VW will do the normal denial dance and quietly just get the HPFP redesigned and act like nothing ever happened. Assuming they do that, what again will not be know for a few years and beyond is how the "new/redesigned" hpfp will fair.

Last edited:

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
...............and the hysteria continues.......... the sky is falling the sky is falling :)

K.M

TDI
none
There are two VW dealers I am dealing with and have made it known to both of them about this issue. I have explained (presented documentation to them) it top to bottom to them both. If they didn't know, they definitely know about it now. I know these HPFP cases are to a certain extent rare however, they happen. If they (dealers) want to sell the car they will at least take my concern seriously. If I had this HPFP fail out of my warranty, fine, my problem beacause I am aware of it but having it fail and VW blame the consumer or some how deny a warranty claim, could get REAL ugly. With all that said, I really really like the car.

K.M

TDI
none
As much as I like and want a white/cornsilk TDI Jetta, I'm going to have to remove this car from my prospects. As I stated in my first post, I put 504,000 miles on my (still driving) 92' Ford f150 only doing routine maintenance. I was considering the TDI for longevity, beacuse it is a diesel however, I can't see this car going 250,000 miles at all; much less 500,000. As much as I like the TDI, it goes totally against the purpose of owning a diesel, when the serious issue of the HPFP would forever hang over your head. The TDI should be capable of long life however, I don't think it is possible without spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I am going back to a car I passed up for the TDI; the 2008/2009 Mercedes E320 Bluetec. Hopefully VW can figure this out and give a precise answer for the issue/resolution. At some point I may come back to the TDI but for now, it's out.

slash28

TDI
none yet; '08 Rabbit S
Aside from the general longevity concerns, did something specific happen to drive you to your final decision? How did the dealers respond to your requests for coverage?

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
...The TDI should be capable of long life however, I don't think it is possible without spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I am going back to a car I passed up for the TDI; the 2008/2009 Mercedes E320 Bluetec...
Well, this HPFP issue has people freaked. It is a legitimate concern, personally I think it's overblown, but I respect it as a consideration..

However, if you think a Mercedes (any year, any model--but especially the newer ones) is cheaper to run, or more reliable than a VW, you need to do more research.

It is, however, a fine car, you'll enjoy it. You won't be saving any money.

P.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
It is, however, a fine car, you'll enjoy it. You won't be saving any money.

There are two distinct differences in this comparison:

• The Mercedes dealer is capable of repairing and maintaining the products they sell
  • Mercedes stands behind their warranty
People are fooling themselves, Paul, if they believe the purchase of an MBz or TDI is going to "save them money".

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Just buy the extended warranty 7/100K then your are covered.I got it for two reason the DSG and the new CBEA engine. I know of one member has 100k with no problems.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Does VW sell this extended warranty? I wasn't offered such a thing when I bought a Rabbit at the end of '07 (in Maryland).

They do now:) back in 09

K.M

TDI
none
One dealer responed very well and was open to my concern. The salesman went and talked to the mechanics and found that they are aware of the HPFP issue with the TDI; even though none has been through their shop. They want me to come sit down and discuss warrantyl options. The problem is, a 7 year/100,000 means nothing to me beacuse I keep my cars much much longer and put many miles on them. The issue with the TDI is that I would start with a new car that has a faulty foundation from the start. One thing I did see was someone that had put 100,000 miles on a 2009 TDI. That's somewhat reasuring that the HPFP is capable of holding up. VW needs to do an autopsy on a high milage TDI and look at wear on the HPFP. I don't believe that the TDI is a bad car because it is not. VW needs to STOP telling TDI owners that they put gas in a diesel car. That would PISS me off to the max as it should every VW diesel owner here.

The Mercedes common rail diesels have been around since 2003/2004 and have not had the HPFP issues. Buying one of these cars at least gives a good foundation for longevity and many miles without worry.

rjgagliano

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagen
KM, as a victim of the HPFP issue at 9900 miles, even though VW took care of everything, I would not but a TDI again and am going to sell mine in November. Buy the Mercedes, I wish I had. I have zero confidence in VW's ability to fix this issue and I also believe there is a design flaw in the HPFP. Trying to get any info from VW is like impossible. Buy the Mercedes and be happy. I have owned a Mercedes Turbo Diesel and drove it 200,000 miles with zero issues.